I have come to agree with John C. Maxwell that leadership is not titled, position but influence

freebeejay 1 / 1  
please i need feedback
Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer

From personal experiences i have come to agree with John C. Maxwell that leadership is not title, position but influence. A leader doesn't have to be at the top or bottom but someone that drive innovation and action. I have had to learn this attributes the hardway. One of such experiences was not being able to influence my classmates during my junior secondary schools days despite being the class captain. I remembered how divergence of opinions always disrupt whatever it is i was trying to get us to do. We will only speak with one voice when a boy named Paul Adekunle dropped his own opinion; he commanded a great deal of influence that i had to be jealous of him. The eureka moment was when i came across a Chinese adage "Dont curse the darkness, light a candle". I quiet didn't grasped the extent of its meaning back then but i knew that it means that to be an effective leader with influence, i will need to stop complaining and rather be an inspiration to others and solution to people's problems. The adage soon became my regular slogan. Living the Chinese adage yielded result before i finished secondary school for, i won an award from my fellow mates because i wrote a petition on some group of hoodlums that have been terrorizing our female students to the local police and gave a speech that influence other students to signed the petition for action.

My present place of work (NIMC) has taught me one big thing that leadership is all about inspiring others to dream more, learn more, dream more and become more (paraphrasing President John Quincy Adam). My organization is empowered by the country law to create and maintain identity database for the country citizen. Various problems occur during the process of enrolling applicant into the national database and at various times i have had the opportunity of using my leadership influence skills to manage situations. One of such situation was when one of the centres in a remote area that i managed as a system analyst had a system breakdown thereby preventing the enrolment of applicant. I was briefed on the phone by the on-site supervisor on what was going on and what he do should to calm fray nerves as regard the actions of the locals. Knowing the important of communication to a leader, i asked him to gather all the applicant in the conference room and put my call on speaker so that my voice can be heard by all. What i did with the call was to accept responsibility on behalf of the centre and apologize for wasting their time and then communicate with them in a clear term that am already on the way. Evethough it took a whole day to solve the problem, i learnt that day that a leader with influence must be patient and proactive at all time.
ayu sasmita08 5 / 6 3  
hallo.....
i have some correction for you :)

... that leadership is not titled , position but influence.
... be at the top or bottom(COMMA) but someone that drive innovation and action. I have had to learn thisthese attributes the hardwayhard way .

... during my junior secondary schools days despite being ...
... divergence of opinions always disrupts whatever it is i was ...
... i came across a Chinese adage "Don' t curse the darkness, light a candle". I quiet didn't graspedgrasp the extent of its meaning back then(COMMA) but i knew that it ...

... that influence other students to signed the petition for action.
... to create and maintain an identity database for ...
OP freebeejay 1 / 1  
thanks for your input. do you think the article answered the mentioned question in a bright way. do you think it can be considered for my scholarship application

please i need input and suggestion

Home / Scholarship / I have come to agree with John C. Maxwell that leadership is not titled, position but influence