Commonwealth Scholarship- Using Gender Studies to address a development challenge

Viashima 1 / 1  

"achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls."

Prompt: (a) How the proposed study relates to a particular devt challenge at the global, local or national level
(b)How you will use your proposed study to address at least one development problem in your home country or intentionally with reference to one or more UNDP's sustainable development goals. 300 Words

Goal 5 of the United Nations Social Development Goals seeks to "achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls." It hopes to end discrimination against the female sex and ensure women fully participate in the public space and access equal opportunities by 2030. A master's degree in Gender and Development will help me to make two immediate interventions for the success of this goal:

First, I believe it is impossible to fully understand women's experiences, achieve gender equality or equal representation if the impacts of gender vulgarities in our vernaculars on women's agency are not probed or challenged. As Muhingi (2016:p1) rightly notes, "language provides a general clue about people, influences impression formation, social evaluations and shapes perceptions of communicators as well as their audience." Unfortunately, as Atanga, et al. (2012:p4) and Mama (2007:p4) rightly acknowledged, the connection between gender particulars in our vernaculars and women's agency has been overlooked. My proposed study will help me with the competencies to contribute to the ongoing struggles for gender equality from this socio-linguistic perspective. I intend to focus my research on the link between gender vulgarities in African vernaculars and their impact on the identities and social participation of indigenous women speakers. My studies will include whether this aspect of everyday language influences mothers' child-rearing practices and the extent to which this has an impact on the ongoing campaign for gender equality among indigenous speakers. I will approach this study either through personal or collaborative research. Findings from my research focus will create more insights about the traditional dynamics of the gender problem. This will help shape policy approaches and other initiatives against the gender problem.

Second, the Gender course at Moi incorporates development, HIV/Aids studies and Information Technology. Apart from helping me to contribute invaluably to gender sensitive development policy formulation in Nigeria on a range of issues, it will help me to provide more pragmatic empowerment solutions to women using information technology. The course's inclusion of HIV/AIDs studies will help me to conduct sensitisation programmes for those in the rural areas who are the most vulnerable.

Thank you all for your time and assistance.
Ko. your essay is extremely weak in content in reference to how YOU will effect change in Africa regarding women's rights. Your reliance on quotations does not help your essay. In a scholarship essay, using researched quotations does not help because these do not refer to your own considerations and actions as per the prompt requirements.

Your essay should be divided into the following paragraph topics to make sense:

1st Par. - An explanation of the UNDP Goal you have decided to pursue as per its relevance to your chosen MS course (INCOMPLETE)
2nd Par. - Problem for women's rights in Africa in relation to this goal (Not Done)
3rd Par. - What you plan to study to help you address the problem in Africa. How it will be completed (Not Done)
4th Par. - How you will implement your learning to resolve the problem based on the sustainable development goals (Not Done_
5th Par. - Conclude by explaining your expected result and why you believe it will address the sustainable development goal (Not Done)

You need to write a new response essay. One that addresses the specific requirements as I outlined above. I am spoon-feeding you the presentation method that works best for this type of essay. Use expanded explanations, without falling back on quotes from other sources because that does not improve the essay presentation. Quotes only confuse the presentation because you are taking only bits and pieces of a total presentation with the hopes that it fits what you want to say, but cannot find the words to use to explain it from a personal standpoint.

You have to make a decision. Either focus the problem on women's right and relate it to your chosen course or, change it to HIV/AIDS and retain the last paragraph you have in this essay. Just blend it into the earlier discussions so that the essay doesn't feel like it suddenly changed directions towards the end of the discussion.
OP Viashima 1 / 1  
Thank you very much Ma, @Holt. I am really grateful. I will rewrite the essay. Thank you.

Home / Scholarship / Commonwealth Scholarship- Using Gender Studies to address a development challenge