Community Empowerment Through Networking - Chevening networking essay.

imhana 5 / 9 5  
Hi @Holt and other reviewers. Kindly give me your advice for my networking essay as one of the requirement to apply for Chevening Scholarships. Thank you.

NETWORKING ESSAY

Chevening is looking for individuals with strong professional relationship-building skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Please explain how you build and maintain relationships in a professional capacity, using clear examples of how you currently do this, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future.

(minimum word count: 100 words; maximum word count: 500 words)

It is said that the connections we make at college will be beneficial to our professional lives. I can attest to this fact.

Accordingly, through active communication that I built with my lectures, in seventh-semester he asked me to join university community-development projects as a Facilitator to guide civil servants to create spatial and a-spatial databases in XXX sub-district. Moreover, besides my role as Facilitator, my University elected me as a representative-student to presenting XXX sub-district planning report compiled by me and my team. Afterwards, during discussions, the civil servants provide valuable feedback and offer to support most recent data to improve the report. As the result, through this project, I was able to create an ever-growing network of professional and personal contacts with local authorities, who are willing to help me if I need additional data for further research.

After graduated, by maintaining the strong bond of networking through intense communication with my lectures, the university invited me to join another university community-development projects. This project aims to help local authorities to create a population database in remote areas namely YYY sub-district.

Accordingly, with these professional experiences, I recognize my passion for community-development. Hence, to pursue my passion, I apply for a job in my current work-place as an Environmentalist in a petrochemical company in [city name].

Moreover, as an Environmentalist, my duty not only limited to supervised environmental monitoring but also responsible for improved award achievement, for instance, Programme for Environmental Performance Rating (PROPER). National PROPER consists of eight assessment including a strategic program for community-development through social-mapping in buffer zone area which has higher-scores among other assessments. Consequently, to design social-mapping report that can answer community needs, specifically marginalized-groups, I work hand-in-hand with multistakeholder consisting of local government, grassroots, my company and the community itself. Moreover, as an attempt to do monitoring and evaluation of programs, I maintain these professionals network through active monthly discussion with related stakeholder to discover current issues in buffer zone area. As a result, my company successfully received a Green Rating in 2019 National PROPER assessment meanwhile in 2018 my company only received Blue Rating which a lower rating than Green.

Beside of maintaining network among CSR stakeholder, I also broaden my professional network with local environmental agency through an intense discussion and sharing knowledge, for instance, when I compiled a study-related 3R-based PPE waste management for "XXX XXX" project. The agency extremely enthusiast with this project because no one ever initiates this program in this city. Furthermore, this project contributes to additional score from the environment category for Regional PROPER and my company successfully received a Gold rating for the assessment.

I believe that networking is nothing without added value. As a prospective Chevening-Scholar, I plan to engage other scholars, alumni and my network who share similar passions in SDGs to develop sustainable planning through the community-development program. Furthermore, I plan to collaborate with UK Department of Climate Change along with my company to tackle environmental issues through CSR program in [city name].
This is a useless enumeration of "supposed" and "assumed" networks. These are not so much networks, in the sense that Chevening is looking for as they are work related contacts. You are rushing through the explanation. You need to detail how the contact was developed thoroughly. How did you come to need this contact? Who introduced you to these organizations? Who did you work with directly (person or department)? There is a lack of reference to why you believe that this network will be noteworthy and of value to the program participants. Your network discussion needs more depth. It feels too shallow because of the lack of detailed networking reference. By the way, you really need to have this paper professionally edited. The grammar is not very good and often leads to uncertain declarations within the essay. These blurred references and word usage tend to create confusion for the reader.

Home / Scholarship / Community Empowerment Through Networking - Chevening networking essay.