Scholarship essay (Computational Bio-science) - At KAUST University.

sadsad 1 / 1  
Greetings,

They are few points I need to mention before I post my scholarship essay.
1. My B.S degree was in computer science.
2. The scholarship essay requires to answer the following:Submit the KAUST Scholarship Essay. In this essay respond to the following prompt: the mission of KAUST is to advance science and technology through bold and collaborative research. It educates scientific and technological leaders, catalyzes the diversification of the Saudi economy and addresses challenges of regional and global significance, thereby serving the Kingdom, the region and the world. Explain the importance of your field in today's society. In your future research and professional career describe how you would advance diversity in science and technolgy benefiting the region and thus creating a global impact. Your response to this essay will help the review committee assess how well your goals fit with the mission of KAUST

3. Here is my essay:
Computational Bioscience cannot be limited to certain number of fields. However, they are areas trigger my interest. Among of these fields are Cell Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Genetics, and Molecular Biology. The topics mentioned earlier are all related one to another. Some concerned to obtain the data in the lab basis but some concerned to utilize the supercomputing to obtain the essential information that cannot be extracted manually.

The prior degree that I have obtained was in computer science. I have spent one semester at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) doing research in the area of biomedical informatics. Research topics are related to Electroencephalography (EEG) and utilize the machine learning to classify seizure and non-seizure signals. In addition, one more research was conducted in Electrocardiography (ECG) MIT Arrhythmia classifications. It is fascinating how the technology can be used in the biomedicine to ease the work and more importantly that it could save time. Thus, I am greatly interested in the field of Computational Bioscience so that I participate in researches in cell biology that is closely related to genetics. Furthermore, I would get involved developing and using computer tools to collect and analyze data related to medicine and biology.

It is great motivation to combine different science fields to achieve greater means (i.e. Computer science and Computational Bioscience). One of Bioscience subfields is bio-signal processing which involves extracting useful information from biological signals for diagnostics and used for treatment purposes. They are many aided software, this does not mean only studying cardiac signals to determine whether a patient will be susceptible to sudden cardiac death, rather more it could shorten the time required and it is cost effective. I am determined to used my knowledge in computer science and utilize it in Bioscience, so that I help to improve treatment to be done in a shorter time and cheaper manner.

I would devote my life to be a better version of myself and improving civilization as a whole. Throughout the rest of my life, I hope to continue in this same manner of unselfish work. I commit my life to helping others and to advancing society's level.

Your time and help is really appreciated guys. Thank you in advance
Hi

Computational Bioscience cannot be limited to certain number of fields. However, they are areas that trigger my interest. Among of these fields are Cell Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Genetics, and Molecular Biology. The topics mentioned earlierwhich are all related one to one another.

Some are concerned towith obtaining the data in the lab basis but some concerned towith utilizeing the supercomputing to obtain the essential information that cannot be extracted manually. ----------- i feel you should re-phrase this sentence to improve clarity of your idea. Further, since this is your introductory para, I suggest you to include some statement to be in line with how these fields help meet today's challenges (regional or world) and how they can serve the modern society... these points have been mentioned in your prompt and your answer may be evaluated against those :)
OP sadsad 1 / 1  
Hi
I did modify the introduction but I did not add the part 'how these fields help meet today's challenges (regional or world) and how they can serve the modern society' in the introduction. Instead, it's in the second paragraph. It's because I have this idea in my mind I want to merge computer science and Bioscience researches together.

*** The added part at the last two lines. Please tell me what do you think :)

The prior degree that I have obtained was in computer science. I have spent one semester at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) doing research in the area of biomedical informatics. Research topics are related to Electroencephalography (EEG) and utilize the machine learning to classify seizure and non-seizure signals. In addition, one more research was conducted in Electrocardiography (ECG) MIT Arrhythmia classifications. It is fascinating how the technology can be used in the biomedicine to ease the work and more importantly that it could save time. Thus, I am greatly interested in the field of Computational Bioscience so that I participate in researches in cell biology that is closely related to genetics. Furthermore, I would get involved developing and using computer tools to collect and analyze data related to medicine and biology. However, it is obvious advances in Computational Bioscience will require multidisciplinary fields to apply principles and tools from engineering and computer science to solve challenging problems in biology and medicine of today's society.

Thank you in advance.

Home / Scholarship / Scholarship essay (Computational Bio-science) - At KAUST University.