Computers, robotics and technology - Motivation letter for Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship

Daniel Saw 1 / -  
Hi everyone, please review my motivation letter for scholarship application.

Motivation letter

As a student from Myanmar, this program is a blessing for a lot of students in my country, including me, who wish to continue their education since most schools and universities had been closed amidst the chaos of Covid-19 and the coup d'etat by the military. The provisions covered by this scholarship program is more than I could ever ask for and it is one of the biggest reasons for my application.

My interest in computers, robotics and technology piqued when I first learned about programming and arduino and I've been passionate about them ever since then. I've done some python, arduino and electronics projects. I've also participated in the Game Dev Challenge hosted by a local company and built a 2D game in seven days with a team and none of us had any prior knowledge. I had the experience of working together with a team and working under pressure. I've learned linear algebra, calculus, circuit analysis to prepare myself for the studies ahead. I want to be one of the contributors in the fields of embedded systems, cyber-physical systems and IoT and pursue a career in those fields.

Hungary is one most innovative countries and science and technology is one of the most developed sectors in the country. The affordable cost of living, the beautiful landscapes and architectures across the country, the high-quality education it offers and the culture are the main reasons why Hungary is my top choice for studies. I decided to apply to University of Debrecen because it offers study programmes that will help me achieve my goals and the curriculum have both lectural and practical components. The university also gives me an opportunity to internship. I believe that my studies will set me on my way to achieve my goals.

My country is one of the least developing countries and even in agriculture, which is the backbone of the country's economy, farmers are still using cow-carts and traditional methods. Therefore, I wish to apply the skills I would learn from my studies to help my country's agricultural sector to become more modernized and developed. For example, remotely monitoring farm conditions with the help of sensors (light, humidity, soil moisture, etc) and automation the irrigation system to be more efficient, improving farmers' decision making with the help of data analytics for more profit and yield, etc.

Studying in a foreign country, the first and the hardest challenge I'll have to face would be the language barrier. But there will also be challenges like having to adapt to the different culture and customs, making friends with people that I'm not familiar with, and so on. I could overcome the language barrier by learning the language beforehand and after I'm in Hungary. For the other challenges, I'll have to learn more about the country and the people in general, and I'll need to learn to be more sociable. For the unexpected challenges I might encounter, I'll have to adapt to the situation and find a solution to overcome those.
In the first paragraph, you clearly make mention of the provisions that the scholarship will provide as the main factor for your decision to apply for the scholarship. Scratch that reference. It weakens the more impressive and considerable reasons you first stated in relation to the coup that affected your country. Remove the Covid reference as well since schools are already reopening or have reopened internationally.

I want to be one of the contributors in the fields of embedded systems, cyber-physical systems and IoT and pursue a career in those fields.

This is an over reaching statement. It appears that you do not have a solid idea of the career path you wish to pursue out of college so you are throwing all posibilies out there, hoping something will stick. I suggest removing this reference and bringing your desire to help the farming community up to this portion instead. I believe this line would directly relate to the IoT mention that you made. That gives the post study ambition more useful focus and indicates a desire to go back to your home country after completing your studies.

Home / Scholarship / Computers, robotics and technology - Motivation letter for Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship