Contribution to Community - Studyblr

kerry2654 13 / 37 12  
Gates Millennium Scholarship
Word Count: 171

Discuss your involvement in and contributions to a community near your home, school or elsewhere. Please select an experience different from the one you discussed in the previous question, even if this experience also involved leadership. What did you accomplish? How did this experience influence your goals? (1000 words)

As a previously anxious junior constantly worrying about college, I needed support for the upcoming yet decisive months. Transitioning from mainly rigorous courses to only one in a semester prompted me to focus on receiving high grades and developing effective study habits for my difficult senior year. Thus, I created a Studyblr, a Tumblr dedicated to academic achievement as the online community attracted me with its emphasis on motivation. Through posting, I interacted with other students in similar situations such as with standardized testing. As I focused on achieving a good ACT score, I realized the lack of updated resources for the studying process. To both aid in informing others and my own organization, I began publishing a series of ACT resources. I consolidated a list of useful tips while adding my own experiences. Since then, I've received positive feedback from those who implemented my ideas. My initial goal upon joining Studyblr was to connect with others for study inspiration; yet, I realized that I could also solve issues for others.
This experience sounds more like you were acting in an advisory rather than leadership capacity. There is no real sense of community interaction in the way you depicted the reason for the Tumblr account. This prompt needs to have a more interactive approach to the leadership activity. From the way that you introduced the premise to the activity, you were doing it more for your motivation rather than to motivate others. A true leader motivates others to complete their tasks and achieve a collective goal. Perhaps you need to develop this idea further through a revision of your content.

You can summarize the reason the you created Studyblr and depict a more community inclusive reason for doing so in contrast to your more personal reasons for establishing the account. Then mention some comments you received that can clearly refer to your leadership role in the group. That will explain how you accomplished your goals. After that, you can still use the part about you can use this experience for your future goals.

Don't think about the character count. You can edit for characters when you have already explained yourself clearly in so many words and characters.

Home / Scholarship / Contribution to Community - Studyblr