Contributions to the Field of Sonography

fuzzy 3 / 10  
Hey guys, I need more help with my scholarship essays.
Second question that I need to answer is: "What are you career goals in sonography? How do you hope to contribute to the field"

I don't have a draft yet because I'm still brainstorming on what are they looking for with this questions. Especially the second part of the question. Does the word "contribute" refers only to research? That's all I can think of that they are implying, but maybe someone has a different idea. Because if research is what they are thinking about... really, only a handful of people go into research, in any field.

The third question that I have to answer is: "why do you think you should receive this scholarship". This scholarship is NOT based on financial need, so I believe that including any financial information in my essay would not be a good idea. I have to come up with something else.

I just need some guiding into the right directions, some insights.
Thanks,
Frankie
bezabee98 4 / 7  
hello there..

all I can think of is for you to write down whatever comes to mind without stopping . I hope this helps at least a little bit.
Yeah, write down whatever you can come up with, then post it here and we'll see if we can help you a bit more. If you aren't going to be doing research, you can always talk about what you hope to accomplish. How will your being a sonographer make the world, and specifically the world of sonography, a better place? And, even if you don't plan to go into research, maybe, if you think about it a bit, you'll realize that you really do. You might, of course, change your mind later . . .
Wow, good questions! No, it does not have to be a research contribution, although you will have to make a unique and substantial research contribution if you seek a graduate degree. Your contribution can be as a practitioner with unique skills and dispositions. You can answer this question in a way that shows STRONG understanding of the field and shows your unique interests. The point is for you to prove that you are so serious that you already can clearly envision your place in the field.

Question two: Well... now, I am not sure. Will you call the admisisons office and ask that very intelligent question? In my understanding, it seems that you do not have to avoid discussing financial need just because that is not how they base their decisions... but you made me think of it in a new way. Call and ask! It'll make a good impression. Be sure to give your name! I think, though, that you can actually do something very similar to what you do for the other question -- tell how you will contribute, and make it money well-spent!!
OP fuzzy 3 / 10  
ok guys,
I did a lot of brainstorming and went through a few drafts. I still feel like there is a lot of work to do, I feel like i stumble over every word when I read what I wrote, but please give me your impressions. You guys are great, and I have no idea how to master the art of writing essays, like you do. Thanks!

Here it is the answer to the question: ""What are you career goals in sonography? How do you hope to contribute to the field"".
OP fuzzy 3 / 10  
Here is what I wrote for the question "why do you think you should receive this scholarship?"

Every human being is deserving of kindness and help of any kind. I have been lucky enough to find myself at the receiving end quite often growing up in a large family. When I arrived to the United States, help and kindness did not stop, whether it meant tips on adapting to the new society or just a good friends to talk to. It has been a long and cumbersome voyage over the years. Today I feel like I am approaching the moment when I will be able to give back not only to my family and those who helped me over time, but to everyone else that comes in my path. In terms of going to school, finances are hard for every student and I am no different. This scholarship will allow me to worry less about finances and focus more on my studies. I am particularly excited about the extras that come with this scholarship. The one year student membership that I had with ASE had tremendous benefits. I have found that several articles from JASE coincidently overlapped some of the lectures in my Echocardiography class. Being an ASE member gave me the opportunity and access to to that extra study material. Nothing gets me more excited though, than the perspective and the opportunity of attending the Annual Scientific Session which will be an unprecedented learning experience.
How to master it! That is something I think about a lot. You have to ponder the subject of the essay, and then put your attention on your breathing and watch for what sentence comes to mind.

If you can get into a rhythmic state of mind, like as if you were going to play drums or dance, if you can feel a cool rhythm, it makes the words come to mind with rhythmic syllables. Writing is rapping, like being a rapper, only without the... rapping.

And anyway, you change the rhythm in your head so that it goes with the mood of what you are writing. Or just to whatever mood you happen to be in.

Okay, I am going to chop your essay up into all the different ideas you gave. Right now it seems like you jump from one idea to the next. You have to start over, but every time you try it usually gets better. It's necessary to take more than one try.

Every human being is deserving of kindness and help of any kind. Quite often, I have been lucky enough to find myself at the receiving end of kindness I grew up in a large family. When I arrived to the United States, help and kindness did not stop; people gave me tips about adapting to the new society, and many lasting friendships developed . just a good friends to talk to.

It has been a long and cumbersome voyage over the years.

Today I feel like I am approaching the moment when I will be able to give back not only to my family and those who helped me over time, but to everyone else that comes in my path.

In terms of going to school, finances are hard for every student and I am no different. This scholarship will allow me to worry less about finances and focus more on my studies.

I am particularly excited about the extras that come with this scholarship. The one year student membership that I had with ASE had tremendous benefits. I have found that several articles from JASE coincidently overlapped some of the lectures in my Echocardiography class. Being an ASE member gave me the opportunity and access to to that extra study material. Nothing gets me more excited, though, than the perspective and the opportunity prospect of attending the Annual Scientific Session which will be an unprecedented learning experience.

The way to write a strong paragraph is:

Write a short topic sentence that says the main thoughtof the paragraph.
Write a sentence that explains tha topic sentence and adds to it.
Write a sentence that tells something else about that topic.
Write a conclusion sentence that sort of tells the reader what it all means. (or you can use the last sentence to say something about the original idea in a way that connects it to the main idea of the next paragraph. Transitions are hard.)

The point is, a paragraph is all one idea. In your admissions essays, all of you should write paragraphs of 4 or 5 sentences, usually. Make it crisp and formal. And if you are going to write a five paragraph essay, that means you have only 5 "topics." And what it all comes down to is one topic, which is expressed as the thesis statement (often the last sentence of the first paragraph). Then, the body paragraphs give three sub-ideas. And the lat paragraph is sort of like the thesis statement in the form of a paragraph REFLECTING on the whole thing.

That is a lot of info, but if you memorize it now, it will help a lot.
OP fuzzy 3 / 10  
Thanks Kevin for all the tips. With those plus practice, I can only hope it will get easier over time.
What about the answer to the other question. I'll copy-paste it below:
"What are you career goals in sonography? How do you hope to contribute to the field"".

No more than 3 years ago I new nothing about a career field with the name of "Echocardiography". Since then, I feel like I came a long way, yet I realize that I am only just beginning to explore a whole new world of knowledge and opportunity. In researching the different area of practice in echocardiography I have discovered that I am particularly interested in pediatrics. Upon graduation I plan to get the necessary training and become a registered pediatric echocardiographer. In the October 2008 edition of JASE, I read the "Scanning Around the World" editorial about "Heart to Heart" organization and their work for the children in the heartland of Russia. I hope to join them in one of their trips after getting my pediatrics registration and learn how such a trip is organized and carried out. In the end there is nothing more that I would love to do than, one day, organize trips to my home country, Romania. I want to share the my passion for echocardiography in hopes of helping and saving lives of children in the country that gave me the foundation in education that helped me succeed in United Stated and consequently helped me be a good student sonographer.
No more than 3 Three years ago, I new nothing about a career field with the name of "Echocardiography". Since then, I feel that I have come a long way, yet I realize that I am only still just beginning to explore a whole new world of knowledge and opportunity.

In researching the different area of practice in echocardiography I have discovered that I am particularly interested in pediatrics. Upon graduation ....and carried out.

In the end there is nothing more that I would love to do more than to , one day, organize trips to my home country, Romania. I want to

Awesome... this is a great essay. Try those improvements, though.
OP fuzzy 3 / 10  
Guys,
I wanted to thank all of you millions! I have received the scholarship. Could not have done it without your input, precious help and patience.

Forever in debt to you all and to this wonderful website,

FP

Home / Scholarship / Contributions to the Field of Sonography