Convincing that this Scholarship in Korea is a true match with my education and work experience

aprn88 1 / 2  

Personal Statement for Scholarship in Korea

There's written in this form;
o Motivations with which you apply for this program
o Your education and work experience in relation to the scholarship
o Reason for studying in Korea
o Any other aspects of your background and interests which may help us evaluate your aptitude and passion for graduate study or research.

I've graduated from xxx University last December 2017, with major in communication science. I was happy to be able studied this major since i'd learn about communication, branding, broadcasting, advertising, and many more. But, sadly my campus didn't provide a specific major like other campus does. It started around 2011. But for now, I have graduated bring my bachelor degree, and starting to know what my interest is.

Knowing my interst, I'm thinking I should have moved on from my comfort zone. I like design, I like to create new ideas, and I like how branding can changes some perspective like a magic. By that, I want to take my master program, with specific major like Advertising and Public Relations. By knowing my urge to take major of my master degree I want to develop my ideas and looking some inspiration for my future project about design/brand. As we know, Korea has unique characteristic in advertising and art, so I believe I will find a way to create my future project. My motivation to join this program is I want to have a bigger connection and networking, I want to learn about Korean advertising, and the last one because I want to develop my foreign language especially in Korea. I used to have a life-golas to master 3-5 languages, but neither of my parents support me to take language departement. I even took Korean course and Mandarin back then. But, sadly both of them end up unfinished.

I've finished my 12 years formal education, and 4 years college at Jenderal Soedirman University, located in Purwokerto, Indonesia. I once learned Arabic, Korean, Mandarin, and for sure English, and unfortunattely I've never been taking profeciency test. And talking about my experiences in relation to the KGSP, I once nominated as TOP 10 design packaging by xx and I got invited to the biggest Art event on (provincy) in 2017, it was held by a leading technology university in my country, and then I again, nominated as Top 10 Poster design held by Nutritions Departement xx University. Other than that, in 2016 I was accepted in Brand Consultant Company, to join their intership program, to be part of design division. And from my campus, I once selected as best CV design, yet I was chosen to be tentor design in my faculty. So looking at my experience and track record, I wish I will perfectly fit with the major I take for my master degree.

Like I said before, the reason why I want study in Korea because Korea has a unique characteristic in advertising and arts. And I like how it match well with my taste in such way. Beside that, Korea has really tight education system, and it will good for me to focus on my study. And the last one, Korea is really match with my research topic later on. Because I can not do the research on another country.
jerrys1995 1 / 3  
I was happy to be able ...-- check the grammar and phrase it in a different manner

But, sadly my campus didn't ...== this is kind of a negative statement
I used to have a life-golas to ...-- negative
But, sadly both of them ...- negative
and unfortunattely I've never ...= you are forcing the negativity
Like I said before,= dont be too informal
Korea has really tight ...-- remove tight
you need to be more clear and specific with your perspectives and check for grammar mistakes as i found a few.
try to use a positive tone rather than i did this but i sadly i couldnt do it
OP aprn88 1 / 2  
Thankyou very muchhh for your advices!! I'm kind of sucks with grammar by the way :') but do you think, overall is okay?
Esti, I was left kind of confused by your first paragraph. What exactly are you trying to say? The first part, indicates that you majored in Communication Science. Then in the second part, you said that your university doesn't offer this major. Were you discussing a different major other than the one that you completed at the university? In that case, you should mention that you wanted to have a "minor" degree in a specific course but it was not offered at your university so you decided to take a masters degree related to that course instead. Since it is a part of Communications Science to a certain degree, then taking this masters course is the next logical step for you to complete your desired education.

In relation to your reason for studying in Korea, you need to expand on the discussion about your desire to familiarize yourself with Korean advertising norms. Explain how you see Korean advertising becoming an influential force in branding and advertising in the future. Base the explanation on the artistry of the Koreans and their ability to come up with innovative and interactive branding promotions.

Your education and work experience does not really have a direct connection with the KGSP program because you do not have previous experience that shows you as a student or person who has been to Korea and been influenced somehow by the Korean way of life, culture, or world influence. I think you can resolve this by explaining that you took Hangul lessons in the past, how your learned from it, and how it influenced your mindset regarding the power of the Korean Wave now and in the future.

There is a notable reference to your academic and internship accomplishments, as well as your contest prizes. These will help in the consideration of your application in relation to your academic accomplishments. There is definitely a potential on your part to excel in research and these prove your passion for your chosen profession.

You seem to be lacking a professional experience though. If you have not worked professionally in advertising yet, in any capacity, then you should explain why that happened and why you do not see that as a hindrance to your potential to accomplish your goals as a masters degree student in Korea.
OP aprn88 1 / 2  
I was actually trying to explain about my departement (communication science) used to offer specific major in 4th or 5th semester, like advertising, journalism, broadcasting, and public relations. If I choose advertising, I only learn about it and the courses were related to it. But since 2011, the regulation was change, and I can not take specific majors anymore, but instad learning all of them. hehe that was what I want to say...

Anyway, thankyou so much!!! It helps me a lot. I will revised it~

@senuthilini
That was actually typos;;;; Thankyou so much for your corrections!

Home / Scholarship / Convincing that this Scholarship in Korea is a true match with my education and work experience