At the core of my career aspirations, is the desire to do something meaningful for my country

chevy2016 1 / -  
Hi, Appreciate some feedback on my essay below.

Chevening Essay on Career Plans

At the core of my career aspirations, is the desire to do something meaningful for my country, to be able to partake in the journey to shape Malaysia into a developed nation. I realize now that direct employment within the civil service is not necessarily the only route to do so. I also came to learn how big of a role the private sector plays in developing the economy.

Sometimes, to bring about the most transformative change, the seeding of ideas need to come from outside an organization. I can say for certain that some of most bold changes by the Malaysian government in recent years had the backings of reputable advisory firms such as McKinsey & Co, Boston Consulting Group and ATKearney. The firms were able to conduct impartial analysis and offer new perspectives of the challenges at hand, propose data-driven best-practice solutions that have proven to work in many similar circumstances worldwide, and work hand-in-hand with stakeholders to ensure the solutions are practical yet impactful.

Immediately upon completing my master's degree, I plan to apply to and work for a management consulting firm with a base in Malaysia, joining the bright and inquisitive minds to solve various global and local challenges. I have worked closely with a number of advisory firms over the years to know that I would certainly enjoy the nature of the work, i.e. to best serve clients to bring transformative change, supported by a network of experts from around the globe, as well as a collaborative and innovative culture. Being part of a firm with access to a wide network of subject matter experts will in enable me to continue my personal growth and development, to better serve our clients. I hope to benefit from the highly analytical and data-driven culture at the firms and apply the knowledge I have learned to solve both business and public sector challenges. After two years, I hope to take on the role of a Project Manager and lead the delivery of the firm's projects.

At the same time, I hope to be able to challenge the norm and culture that is prevalent within consulting firms, i.e. unsustainably long working hours, which hinders women to continue to be part of the firm once they start a family. I know a number of firms like Boston Consulting Group, which are starting to make changes to their policy, allowing consultants to opt for reduced working hours to retain their talent. More importantly, I hope to be a role model to my two daughters: that they can pursue their goals and dreams, without being limited by the existing norms, whatever they may be.

In ten years' time, I hope to have developed an expertise in the two domains I am mostly passionate about, which are education and digital innovation, as I believe these two are powerful tools to empower citizens and society as a whole, and that they will continue to play a significant role in making Malaysia an advanced nation.
Curtin, you have managed to seamlessly incorporate the vested interests of the UK in your country within your essay. It was done in such an innovative manner on your part that it almost did not seem like you were creating the connection between your post study plans and the interests of the UK in your country. Excellent work! Just one small critique though. I wish that you had indicated a desire to work for the British firm in your country instead of implying that you would work for a nameless company. Sometimes, referring to a British company when applying for a UK based scholarship creates an edge for you as an applicant because it becomes obvious that you are very familiar with the kind of help that the UK government can offer our country upon your completion of the course. More importantly, you are willing to help promote the mutual interests of the two countries in your line of work.

Home / Scholarship / At the core of my career aspirations, is the desire to do something meaningful for my country