I decided to take one step ahead. Motivations with which you apply for the KGSP program

NurSyakirin 1 / -  

KGSP - Personal Statement

o Motivations with which you apply for this program

I was never a bright kid who excels in subjects like Mathematics or Science to the extent that my parents and teachers wished nothing but average scores in those two subjects during examination. I decided to put extra effort in my study and turn my result around by asking for guide from my fellow classmates and teachers about the subjects whenever I can. During my major examination, I got an A in one of those two subjects. I was able to score an 'A' to prove to others that I was able to go beyond the heights that they thought was my upper limits. While searching for what interest me the most, since I do not have a pretty much good command in Mathematics and Science subjects, I found that language has made its way into my heart. Languages have always been part of the greatest asset in my life. Growing up as a child, I spent my whole life learning English and Malay from both parents who taught those languages which proved to be a 'stepping stone' to my bilingual familiarity. When I was 15 years old, I developed an interest in learning Korean language. At the beginning, Korean language was learnt as part of side hobbies and pleasure. However, as time goes by, it had gradually intrigued and aroused my curiosity in Korean language's structure.

South Korea has proven its excellency in technology and mechanism fields. Majority of my friends who applied for Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) come from science or mechanical engineering background. Despite of not coming from these backgrounds, I would like to take the challenges and prove that language is as important as science and mathematics. As someone coming from language background, I wish to prove that linguistics and language knowledge can be widely obtained from South Korea as well. The diplomatic relations between these Malaysia and South Korea have been established for 58 years, but there are little research or studies that are focusing on both Malay and Korean language. In my university, Korean language is not part of mandatory languages to learn like Japanese, French or Arabic. It is unfortunate for students like me who has a huge interest in Korean language. This program allows me to develop my linguistic comprehension and ability in which would have been aligned with my study plan. With the knowledge obtain, I want to share it with my community that eventually would help them achieving their ultimate dream like me. Therefore, introducing Korean language and linguistics into Malaysian context would be my main motivation.

Having said that, I decided to take my interest one step ahead and show what I have learnt into practice by applying for KGSP and studying in South Korea. KGSP is one of the opportunities that I should never miss in order to spread the uniqueness of Korean language and culture into Malaysian society as Malaysia people are currently heightening their interest in every aspects brought by South Korea. By experiencing, living and studying in Korean environment, it would provide me the credibility to bring closer the Korean and Malay culture. Similar with other applicants, my goal of applying KGSP is to seek more knowledge that is related to my major and go out exploring beyond my university and country
Nur, this is not a motivational paper. You have not written anything in this essay that signifies a clear reason to wish to study linguistics in Korea. What you have written is a personal statement that indicates the development of your interest in Linguistics, which is not the same as a motivation for wishing to apply for a scholarship to study this course in Korea. The motivation should come from your desire to either promote the Korean language in your country, or vice versa. You should also be indicating why you believe that Korea has a language study program that could motivate you to do well. What is the academic motivation on your part? What is the professional motivation? This essay can be written in 2 paragraphs if you focus on the academic and professional motivation, which you are not focusing on at all in this version of the essay.

Home / Scholarship / I decided to take one step ahead. Motivations with which you apply for the KGSP program