Dedication and spirit - Global UGRAD program will be a great opportunity and new wonderful challenge

Crabsinus 1 / 1  

Why would you be a great participant in the Global UGRAD

Ever since I was a little child, I always had a dream of visiting the United States of America but as I grew older and with more logical thinking, I realized that it wasn't financially possible, so I started looking for cheap/free alternatives and then I discovered your exchange program. I first heard about UGRAD when I was still in my first high school year. However, I wasn't allowed to apply since I was only sixteen, but then I said to myself that this was an ideal opportunity to develop my skills in every aspect to become a great or at least a strong participant in this program and to be honest, it was hard at the beginning, I had to seek discomfort and do things that I haven't really done in the past and with more time and practice I found out that UGRAD was my wakeup call and that it was exactly what I needed to get me going, I mean, the smile on an old person's face and that feeling after a successful public speaking is what life is all about ...

Personally, I believe that grades and academics accomplishments are not what make a successful exchange student, not because I don't have good grades (rather the opposite, I am willing to gain knowledge no matter how something can be hard or challenging) , but because what matters the most are the activities and skills that we can learn outside our schools and they are what makes us different than the others. With this program, I'm going to be able to improve my communication and organizational skills which are crucial in our world. Completely changing the surrounding environment will also give me a chance to enhance my personal skills and gain more independence, it will enable me to become more responsible and open-minded.

Otherwise, I think that my leadership abilities that can represent my dedication to the community development and my spirit might be of a help not only to the group of exchange students but also to promote the objectives of this program. In fact,I am a big believer in the quote "seek to understand, before being understood" because it helped me develop my capacity for empathy , as as result I am involved in social activities and volunteering more than ever. I also find that my passion for photography and graphic design as well as my wise use of social media can be a great help to my community since it's another aesthetic way to share ideas that cannot be shared through words or at least from a whole new perspective and inspire people.

In conclusion, I am really convinced that being part of the Global UGRAD program will be a great opportunity and new wonderful challenge for me and I sincerely believe that the knowledge and experience I can gain could add value to my personal qualities and will contribute towards the society around me and the world hopefully.
Saad, your first paragraph makes the Global Ugrad program sound like you view it as an all expenses paid trip the United States, an ambition from your childhood rather than the more proper "academically challenging semester abroad that helps to widen a student's horizons through a sponsored educational exposure in the United States". You do not want the reviewer to read that first line. It distracts from the overall essay and delivers a negative first impression of you as an applicant. If I were you, I would remove that whole paragraph, no I would delete this whole essay and start over. Your overall essay really runs counter the expectations of the scholarship applicants. Everything you are saying is the exact opposite of what the reviewer expects to read and if you submit this essay, your chances of winning the sponsored study abroad scholarship will be weak to non-existent.

Please review the other Global Ugrad essays available at this forum so that you will get a better idea of what the program is looking for in its applicants. It is most definitely not looking for what you have been presenting in this essay. Learn from the other applicants and approach your revised essay writing from the same mindset and perspective. That should help you create a more appropriate essay for the reviewer to consider.
OP Crabsinus 1 / 1  
Hi, thanks for the advice, and I totally agree with you on some points but I still need some clarifications if that's possible, is there any say I can contact privately? I feel uncomfortable posting here.

Home / Scholarship / Dedication and spirit - Global UGRAD program will be a great opportunity and new wonderful challenge