Desperate for guidance; Scholarship-Leadership experience

lexilex1995 6 / 17  
Essay 5
Discuss a leadership experience you have had in any area of your life: school, work, athletics, family, church, community, etc. How and why did you become a leader in this area? How did this experience influence your goals?

In the media, there are too few role models available for our youth. Those who inspire us in a positive way have disappeared. With results like that, I fear that the future generations will be in jeopardy. Today, in the technological generation, very few kids lack the communication skills they need to survive in an everyday situation. Can people not see that the society we live in is desperate for guidance?

In 2010, I met a girl named Jasmin Sanford, she had a timid personality. Her personality reminded me of how I was when I first began high school. She rarely talked and kept her distance. The girl was comparable to a lioness who has not found her roar. After analyzing her character, I thought she would be vulnerable to a group of troublesome teens. I had a little of knowledge of what conniving upper-class men liked to influence on the lower-class men. Many of upper-class men were like vampires waiting for an edible blood supply. Knowing that, I developed a strong feeling that I needed to help her find a rightful place in the school.

Admittedly, I did not know what I was getting my self into, but I knew that if I took her under my wing she would benefit from whatever I had to offer. As the Months passed, our relationship grew strong. She began to open up slowly and show appreciation towards my guidance. I felt like a big sister watching her baby sister walk for the first time. If she had a problem that stopped her from achieving her dreams, I was by her side to console her and motivate her to continue on. Whenever she made a simple mistake, for example on her math homework. I would correct the problems in her equation then tell her what she did wrong. I tutored her in math to improve her work performance. With a lot of effort she began surpass my skills. Since she had a passion for math, I insisted that she take an Engineering class. I also took the Engineering class to show her that I could try something new. After a semester, She excelled in the class creating expert buildings that were better than mines.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

"It appears that every girl wants to be a Barbie, Nicki Minaj is the hair color queen, and the thing she influences is bad intact weave. Every boy in a neighborhood wants to rap and sing, but none of them want a PhD." Please do not generalize. In an essay about leadership, the last thing you want to do is cast a wide gaping net on an entire population. Stick to the prompt and talk about your leadership experiences rather than what you may think of a group of individuals. -AAO

Hope this helps.

Home / Scholarship / Desperate for guidance; Scholarship-Leadership experience