The need to develop the energy infrastructure in Kenya through clean and renewable sources

Geo73 1 / 5 3  

COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP- IMPACT OF DEVELOPMENT ESSAY

Guys I need help to review my essay for the commonwealth scholarship.

Here is the Essay;

Electrical energy is essential for the economic development of any nation yet in Sub-Saharan Africa, 600 million people live without electricity. In Kenya, only about 35% of Kenyans have access to the country's electrical grid. The Government has realized that this problem cannot be solved with the traditional approach of connecting all people to the electrical grid due to challenges such as poor coordination, lack of data for planning, and high capital costs. Thus, in partnership with various organizations, mini-grids are being set up in various parts of the country.

The need to develop the energy infrastructure in Kenya through clean and renewable sources is what has motivated me to study the MSc. in Renewable Energy Systems Technology. My main motivation is that this programme addresses the fundamentals of renewable energy and shows how solar and wind energy sources can be efficiently integrated into practical power systems. Moreover, this course lays emphasis on the efficient generation of electricity from solar and wind power, as well as integrating renewable generators into mini-grids with active power management. This course certainly dovetails very well with the CSC them of science and technology for development which aims at facilitating technological and scientific paradigms that have proven to underpin economic advances, improvements in health systems and infrastructure.

When I am through with the course, I intend to come back to Kenya and offer my skills in any capacity to make electricity available to the poorest members of our society. This will be done through a three-fold approach. First, I will be lecturing at the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, JKUAT. In this context, dissemination of knowledge to the budding engineers that highlights the great potential of renewable energy sources will certainly play a role in solving Kenya's energy problems.

Secondly, I will be able to take an active role in the implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding signed between the British and Kenyan Governments in 2016. This saw the UK commit £500 million to support the development of strategic renewable energy projects in Kenya. This has seen DFID facilitate the establishment of developers such as Powerhive, Powergen and RVE.Sol, that are expected to deliver 15,000 power connections in Western Kenya.

Thirdly, I will offer my skills to startups in the field of renewable energy. One such example is the Energy for Development Network championed by University of Southampton's Sustainable Energy Research Group (SERG). This project has already created a step-change in collaborative research through the installation of solar-powered energy in three Kenyan villages. Electrical power was delivered to a village of 3000 residents in Kitonyoni, approximately 150 kilometers from Nairobi, through a solar photovoltaic system. This project was so successful that the team, in collaboration with the Kenyan Government, is now hoping to deliver this type of benefit to around 60 villages in Kenya over the next decade.

By becoming a Commonwealth Scholarship awardee, I will certainly be able to play a vital role in accelerating energy access to my fellow citizens.
George, your timeline is not clear. You need to indicate, as per the prompt requirements, how long you think it will take to apply these projects of yours within Kenya. That means you have to discuss not only how long it will take, but also what possible obstacles you will have to overcome and how you plan to get around those blocks with regards to your project.

It also appears that you have not mentioned how the CSC will be able to keep track of the progress of your projects. What sort of website will you set up to deal with this type of information dissemination? Or perhaps you plan to do that by generating a quarterly report for submission to an agency that could forward the data to the CSC? Regardless of how you plan to do it, what is important is that you describe a method by which an accurate measurement of your success can be completed. I believe you can do that best through social media. The logical choice would be a Facebook NGO page which is supported by an Instagram visual report of your accomplishments as enacted on the day itself. These are only suggestions, you can do it any way you please.
OP Geo73 1 / 5 3  
Many Thanks Holt

Home / Scholarship / The need to develop the energy infrastructure in Kenya through clean and renewable sources