I've developed professional links with senior civil servants, technical specialists and politicians

Bjkakakhel 2 / 4 1  
Chevening is looking for individuals with strong networking skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence ...

During my enthusing career I have developed professional links with senior civil servants, technical specialists and political party leaders. Some of them are Chevening scholars as well. After the completion of my award I wish to utilize the contacts to form a Chevening alumni body for Pakistan.

I would like to mention that there is a great deal of untapped talent in Pakistan. However, in the absence of diversified and specialized degrees the skills and abilities of young Pakistani men and women do not reach full potential. To this end, I wish to launch an active Chevening alumni forum in the country. This forum would comprise of alumni as well as experts from different sectors. Primarily, the platform would make efforts to bring awareness about the scholarship among young bright students/professionals of Pakistan. In addition to the mainstream population, the proposed platform will look to attract potential candidates from the federally administered tribal areas (FATA) of the country. Furthermore, the platform would enable Alumni to provide coaching to the potential leaders/influencers, to increase the latters chances of getting selected for the award.

Secondly, the proposed alumni forum would utilize the modern methods of communication (facebook, twitter, linkedin etc) to establish a linkage between Chevening alumni, scholars and in-service experts that are managing important portfolios in Pakistan. The result of exchange of such information would be great- the future applicants, in addition to other factors, would get help in choosing their programs of study. This would ensure that future scholars are planning their academic degrees as per specific requirements of the country.

For example in my case, a key government counterpart referred me to the Chevening award. He was a senior police officer and a Chevening Alumni. The official as per his area of expertise encouraged me to pursue degrees related to a specific area. Hence, I feel the process of selection of courses was comparatively easier for me.

Moreover, in the presence of such a dedicated alumni body, the quality of applications from Pakistan would boost up. To be honest, I see it as an opportunity of connecting the country's socio-economic problem areas with advanced solutions as taught in UK's recognized institutions. Overall, the implication of such forums is that the image of UK in Pakistan (as a strategic partner) will improve significantly. I have already held fruitful discussions with the relevant cohort. We are therefore very positive about launching the alumni body soon after the completion of my award.

word count: 410/500
Babar, this essay sounds more like you are trying to appeal to the Chevening committee based upon a referral from an unknown alumna instead of presenting an accurate depiction of any network that you have created for yourself. While you should present plans for the creation of a Chevening arm in Pakistan after you complete your course, as this serves as a sign of how networking will help you in the future with Chevening as your foundation, you should have concentrated on showing off your networking development skills instead.

It would seem that you actually have this ability, but you are afraid to develop the essay around it for some reason. I don't think mentioning that you were referred by an alumna, but then not give his name, year he joined the program, and include a referral letter from him, makes that information worthwhile. While it shows some sort of networking skill, it does not have any factual data to back it up.

Try to aim for networking information that you can support with factual evidence before you present your idea for the Chevening alumna arm in your country. It is important that you prove your skill first, without the aid of back up from the unnamed alumna. Get into the program using your own strengths. That way, when you win the scholarship, you will feel even prouder of yourself because you did it without the use of influence on the committee members. You will have gotten in on your own merits.
shahid2483 2 / 6 5  
@Bjkakakhel
Apparently you have focused on the future interventions a lot but I guess you need to clearly highlight your core competencies and skills around networking, you may I believe should include what you have done so far and how have you significantly utilized yours key networking skills, which are found missing, needs to be addressed with clear practical example e.g. social networks, professional networks and artificial networks. The ending part seems satisfactory.
OP Bjkakakhel 2 / 4 1  
Thank you very much Holt. From your comments I think I will re-do the entire question.

@shahid
Thank you for your valuable suggestions

Home / Scholarship / I've developed professional links with senior civil servants, technical specialists and politicians