Developing Indonesia by building a network of people and their skills

ervina92 4 / 7 4  

application for Chevening scholarship

In my opinion, building a network to improve people around us is one of some positive ways to develop my country, Indonesia. Sharing information and helping others to enhance their knowledge and skills are a great step to make our environment better.

Because I believe so, I want to be a part of the good change in my society. When I was at my university, we decided to take part in a governmental programme to serve our society. In a group of five students, we proposed a learning strategy which helped students enjoy their learning time. The idea was based on the use of onomatopoeia. Onomatopoeia is a language phenomenon in which sound is written down. For example, the sound produced by a cock is written as cock-a-doodle-doo. We made use of this phenomenon to create a comic book containing Indonesian folklores such as Timun Mas. These comic books are then empowered by some school materials. After the comic books were published, we went to a local primary school. We taught grade 5 students using the comic books to help them learn in an interesting way.

In addition to that, in my current career as a teacher, I join in Subject Teacher Organisation (MGMP or Musyawarah Guru Mata Pelajaran) where I connect to other teachers in my school's sub-district. This organisation consists of teachers from state, private, and bilingual schools. In this case, I represent bilingual schools so that bilingual schools can be more involved in developing Indonesian education system. This year I am assigned to be one of the executive members as a treasurer. In this organisation, with other teachers from other schools, we produce standardised test questions. Moreover, along with the other executive members, we will empower other teachers in order to enhance education quality in Indonesia.

In line with Indonesian latest curriculum, National Curriculum, that emphasises High Order Critical Thinking Skills for all Indonesian students, in this teacher organisation we formulate and implement teaching methods to nourish students' High Order Critical Thinking Skills. Because the previous curriculum has not yet highlighted the importance of High Order Critical Thinking Skills, teachers are not yet accustomed to teaching High Order Critical Thinking Skills and to produce questions which demand this skill. This group also enables the teachers to share and help other teachers to develop themselves professionally.

As an applicant in Chevening scholarship, I am ready to participate in Chevening community and to be actively involved in it. Meeting new people who have good qualities and would like to improve themselves is a good process in my life. Building a networking with them is essential for my personal growth and professional development. I believe this will help me reach higher and learn from more experienced community members. I am absolutely committed to build and expand my networking with others to help develop myself and others, and I believe Chevening community would be a suitable place for me.
sgassani 7 / 22 5  
@ervina92

I believe this is not the answer that is expected by Chevening Committee. They specifically asked for the evidence on your networking skill. What you wrote is more of working experiences.

Actually, I have been through the same path as you: wrote an entire page and not answering the question they asked. It's a good thing we have this forum so we have experienced people examine our writing, and believe me, the longer you participate here, the better you will understand what the Chevening Committee actually asked.

Feel free to check my essay on networking and see the helpful review from @Holt there :)
maknae33 3 / 8 2  
Hi @ervina92

Maybe you can explain more about your involvement in the MGMP, since I think you can find your networking stories over there. It would be great if you can describe more about the impact after you had your networking session with MGMP.

Good luck with your application!
Theodora, your membership in the MGMP should be the focus of the opening statement of your essay. Discussing the reasons why this network is important will also show how the Cheevening scholarship foundation will benefit from the existence of your membership in the organization. However, the organization should not be the only networking representation in your essay. Think about the affiliate organizations to the MGMP and how you use those extended memberships in the community within your profession. By presenting at least 2 connected networks that show how you developed one connecting into the other, you will show your networking skill as well. The essay wants you to inform the reviewer about at least 2 networked organizations, its importance to your line of work, and how you continue to grow these networks into other associations as well. Then towards the end of your essay, do not focus on explaining just how you will benefit from this network, but how the Chevening scholars will also stand to benefit from the network provided that they are within the same field or profession as you are.

Home / Scholarship / Developing Indonesia by building a network of people and their skills