Dietitian-nutritionist work. Chevening: why you have selected your chosen three university courses?

CarolCB /  
Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future.

My work as a dietitian-nutritionist has been focused on the area of human nutrition, orienting this field to the labor with community. My job has been based on health promotion and disease prevention, advising people to make changes in their lifestyles, which can have a negative impact in their health and quality of life, this assessment is given both individual and group level.

Given the aforementioned, I have selected three programs that are in the same line of work and will give me the knowledge, understanding and practical insight required to advance in my career as a nutritionist, these university courses are: Nutrition for Global Health MSc (The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine), International Public Nutrition MSc (London Metropolitan University) and Human Nutrition MSc (University Aberdeen).

These postgraduate programs are taught by highly recognized centers not only in the United Kingdom, but also globally, for its excellence in terms of human and public nutrition research, they have an outstanding reputation and strong course structure.

The programs I have selected in particular are focus in education of public and global health issues, focusing on nutritional problems in developing countries and transitional societies. These matters are of great interest for my professional development, given the fact that Colombia is going through an epidemiological and nutritional transition, which has led to coexist in the same population the two faces of malnutrition: obesity and under-nutrition, prompting to the need to address this problem, not only from a clinical treatment but also from having sufficient knowledge in the creation of public policies that could have a favorable and positive impact on this situation and therefore, bring benefit to the most vulnerable populations, such as pregnant women and children under 5 years old.

I consider this topics as a priority issue for my country, since the problems related with poor nutritional status, increase rates of morbidity and mortality in the groups mentioned above, on the other hand, they determine an increasing demand for health services, affect productivity and in general, the quality of life of people. While there has been progress on affairs such as malnutrition, there is still a fundamental challenge for policies to control and reduce obesity, being the public nutrition the best cost- effective tool to face it.

I believe that studying at one of the universities and courses of my selection will complement my professional background and help me fulfil my desire to contribute to confront the nutritional problems existing in my region. I will be provided with an up-to-date knowledge of public health nutrition research methods and their application in diet, health and disease matters, and their role in the development and evaluation of nutrition policies. Furthermore, I will gain qualification from a top international university, I will expand my career opportunities and develop an invaluable network of contacts.

Thanks for the help!
Carol, a quick heads up with regards to the way you discussed the courses in the essay. You should have taken a paragraph each for every course, mentioned the course by title, the university offering it, and then the reasons why you believe that the course would be beneficial to you. By collectively mentioning the course titles and universities at the very beginning then never mentioning it again in the flow of the discussion, the reviewer will have successfully forgotten your course titles and universities already. So he won't really know what you are talking about per paragraph. It is always best to be detailed in your essay discussion, specially when multiple topics are involved.

Now, for some other issues that need to be addressed:

Par. 1:
Comment - in the part where you mention advising people to make lifestyle changes, which can have a negative impact in their health etc. you need to come to a pause or period after the change in lifestyle part. Clarify that the changes will have a positive impact on their health because of their current negative healthy lifestyle. Right now, it sounds like the change in lifestyle will have a negative impact on their lives and I am sure that is not what you meant at all :-)

Par. 2:
Comment- Remember to mention the course title and university within your next discussions. Refer to my explanation above for clarification.

Overall grammar revisions will be applied to the essay after you have adjusted the content :-)

Home / Scholarship / Dietitian-nutritionist work. Chevening: why you have selected your chosen three university courses?