Different experiences enhanced my responsibility towards my country and boosted my self-confidence

AliaaFY 2 / 4  

Leadership Essay - Chevening scholarship

My job as a Project Manager at Ramak Group, a civil contracting and trading company, is the reason behind my strength leadership skills, my responsibility is to manage all the process related to Solar System and GSM sites ,Follow-up the processes from the beginning of the consultant report, concrete works, installation and delivery. I lead a team of 200 people from various backgrounds: assisting engineers, consulting engineers and technical workers In three governorates: Damascus,Daraa,Alsweidaa.

In May 2016, We have been entrusted the rehabilitation of a GSM site in Kalmoun area in Rural Damascus which was damaged by the war that occurred in the region, This was a challenge for me as the site is of strategic importance and one of the hardest to reach places. Therefore, I put an action Strategy, Directed my team of 15 people, spread Positive Motivation by making them aware of the importance of what we are doing ,Coordinated with all parties. Within a week, we successfully completed the task on deadlines, returned the site to the service and the area was back under coverage. This was a success for my company and enough reason to deserve the confidence of my managers. Furthermore, we were honored by the CEO of the company in a ceremony for the efforts to complete the work to the fullest. This experience taught me the meaning of working as a team and made me look forward to proving myself more in my position.

Parallel to my work, I am a volunteer at Bees Community Center since a year until now , one of the centers of Spaces Foundation, which is located in a slum neighborhood, and this was an excellent start for leadership training where I participated in many roles :facilitator of psychosocial support activities for displaced children and coordinator of youth capacity building programs.

Last September, during my participation in one of the workshops of citizenship and belonging in the center, we were divided into two groups and requested to Present a community initiative project to be funded by the Charitable Society for Sustainable Development, I was the leader of my team of six members, brainstormed about the needs of our region and local resources, reviewed the views of everyone and gathered our idea. consequently, we agreed to rehabilitate a main road in our neighborhood.

Therefore, I put a list of the challenges and a list of the opportunities that we can exploit for our benefit and then distributed tasks among us, at the end and before implementation begins we arranged a meeting for the youth people in the neighborhood ,as we influenced in them They were able to form a group of 30 young people to cooperate with us. However, they have changed from a generation of war victims to a generation that contributes for the benefit of society. We cooperate with the municipality to settling the road, fill the excavation and lighting the road, we also painted the walls with meaningful graphics and colors which sent positive energy among the population.

These experiences enhanced my responsibility towards my country and encouraged me to think about something greater than the neighborhood but on the country level.
Aliaa, don't confuse the essay by adding a community service aspect. You already have a very impressive professional story to tell. Develop that discussion instead. The leadership story is already impressive. The influencing part is the one that is not really evident in the essay. You should not just mention what you did, you need to explain it to the reviewer. Explain how you influenced the problem employees or inspired the team to get the job done. Don't tell the reviewer in summarized terms, show the reviewer in an expanded discussion. Highlight your skills. Don't assume that he can read between the lines of the your presentation. You need to be specific at all times. You can do this by removing the community service reference. This is an extra curricular activity that will not be as impressive as your professional experience. Most of the applicants will be using professional references in their essay so you need to make sure that you keep up with such presentations. Basically, this is a good draft. Now, you need to revise it to contain more relevant content using only the professional experience that you shared. Develop that aspect and your essay will become more competitive during the application process.
OP AliaaFY 2 / 4  
Thank you very much for your help,appreciate it. i will re-draft and focus on what you say.

Home / Scholarship / Different experiences enhanced my responsibility towards my country and boosted my self-confidence