My dream is my advanture - Chevening

deli0890 1 / -  
Leadership & Influence Question
Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 50 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

To become a leader, has to have the ability to compromise, the ability to listen well, and the ability to empathize, determination, hardworking.
My first leadership experience came from being named the chief of the Intra-school student organization (OSIS) of my Junior High School. Then in high school, I was elected as the Treasurer. As I was held accountable for all transactions of the Council's funds. Teachers and fellow students believed in my leadership skills. Also, I am proud to say I maintained my good grades while I kept myself busy with extra-curricular activities. In my campus, I was elected as the secretary of religion section in Student Activity Unit (SMEs). Student Activity Unit (SMEs) is a committee of students' affairs that organizes the students' community at campus; Keluarga Mahasiswa. As a secretary, I am responsibility help to a chief who takes dictation, prepares correspondence, receivers visitors, checks of his official engagements or appointments, and performs many order related duties that increase the effectiveness of the organization.

Currently, I am a programmer in IT Company. And then over a short time I took over the leader of programmer because previous leader resign from my office, where we formed a team of 3 programmers under my leadership. We were to build ERP Application at the company client.

I focused on the development of my professional abilities, as the work of a programmer demands, I have led the workshop based on my experiences in my previous leadership and gained new skills in the programmer field. Luckily these are the best leadership experiences a junior programmer could have hoped for, because of the managerial and scientific nature of my job.

In conclusion, my employment experiences and skills have enabled me to develop strong leadership skills and certain abilities which as a result I won two success stories in my life. I am able to manage challenging behaviors effectively, conduct activities safely and communicate with people from diverse backgrounds. Considering above, I think, I can be a great leader for tomorrow, and I am sure, I contribute to your program allot.

please give me suggest for my essay
Deli, I need to point out to you that as a Chevening scholarship applicant, you will be competing with people with far more stellar and relevant leadership and influence skills than you present early in your essay. While I admire that you acknowledge your high school leadership skills, it does not prove to be highly relevant or impressive when compared to other applicants with big name company experienced backing up their leadership evidence. In my opinion, referring to high school experiences are just as useless as referring to your college education in totality when writing your statement of purpose. It refers to material that does not really help show the reviewer your current development as a leader and possible source of influence in your country in the future. So if I were you, I would not mention my high school leadership experience and instead, I would work on developing my professional and real world experiences instead.

You don't need to just focus on your employment as the source of your leadership and influence skills. You can also refer to any social or civic involvement that you have had within your local community or international organizations for this evidence. While having a decent amount of work related leadership experience will be best, the reviewer will also take your extra curricular leadership abilities into account when applicable. The high school leadership information, not so much. Remember, you have competitors who will be broadcasting far more challenging leadership and influencing abilities based upon more intricate workplace and extra-curricular activities. So you need to be able to compete with that kind of presentation.

Don't just say that you are a programmer at an IT company. The company needs a name to go with the work description. Let the reviewer know what kind of obstacles in particular came your way that forced you to assume the leadership role. What problems arose that required you to exercise some sort of influencing skills? How did the entire project turn out because of your desire to lead and influence these people towards doing a good job? There aren't any references to such in the essay. All you have in it at this point is generic information that does not help to prove your skills as a leader. Talk in vivid detail about the managerial aspect of your job because a manager, is a leader.

Your conclusion is not impressive at all. It sounds like a college application essay conclusion. It lacks the impact that a masters degree student could apply to this type of statement. You should be able to circle back to your leadership and influencing abilities in a summary form and relate it to your future career.
Deli, I believe you made your research before you decided to apply for the Chevening Scholarship and by now you already know that the competition is very high, not only that, this scholarship is cast with a wider net that means there will be thousands of applicants with far more achievement than you have, it will be challenging and you need more than academic and professional achievements to succeed in this application.

However, there's still a lot of ways to keep up with the competition.
For one, cast a healthy comparison, research and analytical thinking towards your application.
Keep an open mind and revise your essay, keep it at par and beyond what the prompt is asking, I'd say be creative and expand your horizons towards your approach on this application.

Also, consider writing a more creative piece of essay and combine it with your academic facts.
Your professional background should be emphasized too, remember becoming an efficient follower will definitely hone your leadership skills.
The current essay that you have contains information base on your experiences, this is an absolute must, however you have to enhance them by looking at the bigger picture, you also have to evidently show what the Chevening scholarship can contribute towards attaining your goals.

I hope to see a revised essay for this application posted here on EF so we can assist you further.

Home / Scholarship / My dream is my advanture - Chevening