"To have a dream is not to follow it, but to chase it." My scholarship essay for a better world. :)

NoorEffah24 1 / -  
In not more than 1,000 words, please write an essay that includes:
-A description of the intended area of study
-How this will benefit your country
-The personal qualities that make you a worthy recipient of a scholarship

"To have a dream is not to follow it, but to chase it."As Malaysia is progressing towards a developed country, it needs many professionals and brains in various fields. Committed to be a responsible citizen of Malaysia, it is my humble dream to assume a role in this development than just being a mere spectators.

I would like to pursue my studies in International Relations and Law. Lately I have developed interest in this field as I want to do something that connects my love for my country and other countries in the world. Living and growing up in this wonderful country with many races and multicultural environment of Malaysia helps me to appreciate this unique diversity. So I am keen in learning more about different cultures and people around the world. I have been fascinated by the constantly changing world that we live in, wanting to understand and explore the causes and effects of current and future human interactions. Recently I have also read that this course allows student to gain expertise across a wide set of disciplines including languages, humanities, economics, history and business. Furthermore, I can also gain transferable professional skills such as writing, qualitative and quantitative analysis, planning and organisation. As an enthusiastic and highly motivated student, I would love to experience and face the challenges which such a prestigious course would offer me.

Therefore it is my passion in broaden my knowledge in this field. Hopefully, when I get the scholarship I can study abroad as it is essential for this course. Having the opportunity to interact and learn this course with different people will enable me not only to have advance knowledge of different cultures and society but also to undergo different views and perception-altering of this field of study. I also think that it is important to understand more on the problems that our country is facing right now. I am looking forward to discuss these issues with other people and contrasting how our experiences may be similar or different. It will change the way on learning this field and gain valuable practical knowledge thus experiencing International Relations at a personal level.

As Shelby Davis once said "Learn, earn and return". It would be a privilege and honour for me to contribute to our country, Malaysia. In today's increasingly interdependent and turbulent world, many of the leading issues in the news concern international relations including Malaysia as a developing country. I hope my knowledge in International Relations and Law will benefit the global community immensely. I believe it is absolute natural for everyone including international relations student to make positive impacts in this world as it is what we have been trained to do, for the rest of our lives. I do not have to be an ambassador or even a politician to make a positive impact in this country. I would willingly serve our country in any way possible such as being an intelligence analyst that will deal with security and information. Without the analyst who serve as mediators between nations, the global community would have been disarray and it is my humble dream to serve as one of them. I would even love to serve our country as a teacher or lecturer, building a generation of international relations student who will lead our country and even our world for peace, success and security. I do not really mind of what career that I will assume to serve Malaysia because I know no matter what I will be, I will always give an all-out effort to contribute for the best to our country.

I have grown some additional skills throughout my school year including some skills in leadership and debating. The biggest thing that I have ever honoured was by being the Head Girl of a Fully Residential School which is SBP Integrasi Kuantan. It was never an easy task to assume the role as the second most important student in the school and help leading the whole students. This is where people looked up to me, so I have to be trustworthy, responsible and dependable. Fortunately, I have been nurtured by these skills since I was in my primary school. It has somehow inculcated the positive characters in me throughout the years. When the teachers have entrusted me to bear the responsibility, I humbly accepted it as it is my moral obligations to meet the expectations and trust given to me. To make good decisions and set examples for others have also been a challenge for me because I am not perfect. However, I believe I have done my best to demonstrate the best qualities of myself to fulfil the responsibilities. I also accepted it to challenge my ability and further gain more experience in managing and deal with the obstacles and problems as a preparation for the real world that is far more challenging. I also enjoyed helping people in need because of the satisfaction of making myself useful to others.

I have also developed some skills in communication and public speaking by joining the debate team. I have ventured myself in debating since I was 14. Since then, I have been actively represent the school in many championships and won some achievements for it. My upbringing given me a strong working class ethic, constantly reminding me that success cannot be achieved without commitment, sacrifice and hard work .I believe I should not waste these advantages and will strive to polish it further. I am also looking forward to get the opportunity for more exposures in other related skills throughout my study in the university.

Everything might seem pretentious, but we all need a dream and we all need to start somewhere. That is why I am applying this scholarship because your prestigious organization is funding young aspiring students to further their studies and achieve their dreams. Never more so that now, I believe the comprehension of International Relations and Law is crucial not only for the economy but the mankind. My dream, clearer that before, from every word I say and every action I carry out is to reciprocate the favour of Malaysia and contribute, even in a small way, to the development and improvement of the society. Thank you.
siti hamsyah 2 / 2  
it is a very good opening

Living and growing up in this wonderful country with many races and multicultural environment of Malaysia helps me to appreciate this unique diversity

Therefore it is my passion in broadening my knowledge in this field

This iswas where people looked up to me, so I havehad to be trustworthy, responsible and dependable.

When the teachers have entrusted me to bear the responsibility, I humbly accepted it as it is my moral obligations to meet the expectations and trust given to me

different tenses .

my advice : if you want to use a simple past, you need to make sure that your plot indicates certain past events. if there is no specific event in the past, simple past is better to use.
Hi Sharifah, I tried to read your essay but it is just quiet long for it's purpose.
The word count serves as a reminder on how long and how many words you can input in the essay but it does not necessarily mean it should be this long.

One thing that the administrative officers and the critics will find is the uniqueness of your answer to the prompt as well as the flow of the idea that is already given at the beginning of the prompt.

What I'm simply saying is that, simplicity in answering the prompt is still the best way to go, although you may think that the details matter and yes they do, however, you have to keep your idea intact and know when to and not to expand the idea you have in mind, you also have to be aware if the facts and information to include in your essay in order to keep your essay at a well mannered pace.

Overall, it is a good essay, the idea and the answers are there, however, you have to shorten it to a degree that it will keep the focus and interest of your readers and critics.

Home / Scholarship / "To have a dream is not to follow it, but to chase it." My scholarship essay for a better world. :)