The eldest of three siblings, my childhood was a happy one where I had to take care of them

ctoncel 1 / 2  
Guys, I am applying this year to KGSP, and I need to write three different essays: self-introduction, study plan and future goal. Could you please give them a look and help me improving them? THE THREE ESSAYS MORE BE INTERCONNECTED. Thanks a lot.

The longest one is the self-introduction. No words limit. It needs to answer the following questions:
Your course of life, your view of life, study background, your hopes & wishes, etc
o Your education and work experience, etc., in relation to the KGSP program
o Your motivations for applying for this program
o Reason for study in Korea

Here it goes!

Born in xxx, a small coastal town in the north of Colombia, to an economist mother and a lawyer and martial artist father, I grew up in xxx.

The eldest of three siblings, my childhood was a happy one where I had to take care of them and be a good example while also enjoying simple pleasures such as sunsets by the sea.

I owe my passion for literature to my loving grandfather, a journalist and a published poet, who also dedicated some of his work to me.

I took some English courses as a child and also studied French. Before finishing school I did some voluntary social labor, working part time in the English section of a library.

I was granted a scholarship by the Russian Government to complete my Philology studies at People's Friendship University of Russia (PFUR). In 2010, I was awarded Best Colombian student in Moscow. In 2011, I majored in Philology and Literature and was certified as a Russian to Spanish translator.

After concluding my studies I volunteered at the Embassy of Colombia in Russia, and I had the chance to write the First Guide to Moscow for Spanish speakers. The guide was successfully distributed to newcomers to Russia in different Latin American embassies.

Once I finished the project, I traveled to Bordeaux to take an intensive French language course for a year, there I met Korean people, and immediately fell in love with the culture. I became a follower of Korean cinema and literature. Therefore I decided to learn Korean language.

I learned hangeul by myself, and after coming back to Moscow in 2012, I enrolled in the Sejong Institute. I improved my Korean by practicing with friends, watching movies and reading.

7 years of experience abroad at a crucial moment of my life helped me to grow as a tolerant and independent adult, while being exposed to a diversity of cultures and managing to live alone and providing myself.

As I came back to Colombia in 2013, I began volunteering at an organization called Yo Creo En El Cesar, which focuses in the popularization of the education in the Northern part of Colombia.

During my stay in Colombia, I have been teaching Spanish as a foreign language to Korean professors that collaborate with the Minister of Education of Colombia. Besides I have been working as a translation assistant from Korean to Spanish, and teaching literature at BACATA high school.

I spend my free time watching movies, reading and writing. I am fascinated by contemporary Korean authors such as Yi Mun-yol, Shin Kyung-sook, and Kim Youngha, and filmmakers such as Park Chanwook, Lee Changdong and Lee Joonho. Their books and movies have not only entertained me, but taught me more about the way Korean people see the world. On the other hand, I also enjoy Colombian literature and cinema, and support contemporary writers such as Tomás González, Efrain Medina and Laura Restrepo.

Unfortunately, local literature and cinema are mostly underestimated in my country, not to talk about translation. Hence I want to study a MA in Comparative Literature, which will provide me with more tools not to only achieve my personal goals of researching and writing but helping the development and promotion of literature and cinema in my country. Allowing people to acknowledge Korean literature in Colombia and vice versa will contribute to the cultural exchange between the two countries while making use of the media influence of literature to broaden people's horizons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MOD comment:One essay at one time please
Nastasi 3 / 9  
Could you write a program tittle so that we know whether it's relevant or not?
In general I'd say it's quite good. The only thing - I'd expand the motivation part and exclude the chlidhood paragraph - it's irrelevant
OP ctoncel 1 / 2  
The three essays are part of a whole
OP ctoncel 1 / 2  
I POSTED THE THREE ESSAYS TO AVOID REPETITION. AS SOON AS THEY SHOULD BE PART OF A WHOLE. THE FAMILY PART IS RELEVANT AS I AM SUPPOSED TO TALK ABOUT MY FAMILY BACKGROUND.

THE PROGRAM IS A MA IN COMPARATIVE LITERATURE:
Seoul National University established a graduate program in Comparative Literature in 1998 in response to a growing interest in interdisciplinary studies both in and outside of Korea. The field of comparative literature as originally conceived in France and the U.S. stood for a new internationalism in literary studies: for a broader understanding of literature reaching beyond national boundaries and for more cooperative work within the humanities. The Interdisciplinary Program in Comparative Literature at Seoul National University reflects these original aims but also responds to newer demands within the field to include the comparative study of literature and other media (for instance, television, film, and visual art). Core course offerings include courses on literary theory, narrative theory, gender theory and film; literature and psychoanalysis; and cultural studies. Students are encouraged to take graduate courses offered by other humanities departments. Graduates of the M.A. program either elect to pursue a Ph.D. in the field or search for jobs in broadcasting, the film industry, and publishing.
Nastasi 3 / 9  
post the other 2 essays. but in seperate messages
Don't use the capital letters naswering someone - it looks as if you are shouting at me. If you think that the part about your childhood is relevant so let it be

Home / Scholarship / The eldest of three siblings, my childhood was a happy one where I had to take care of them