"the enchanting world of literature" - subjects you excel in

blia08 1 / 3  
Discuss the subjects in which you excel or have excelled. To what factors do you attribute your success?

Ever since I was a child, I've been drawn to the enchanting world of literature. I'd lose myself in books every day, preferring the captivating words to the company of other children, and always reluctant to set it down, especially when something exciting is just about to occur. In books, my imagination could run wild and free, envisioning myself as the brave heroine on a dangerous quest or the strong-willed and independent young woman fighting against a greater evil. I had the freedom to see things the way I wanted to and in my imagination, no one had the power to diminish my creativity. My great enthusiasm for books would most likely be the most plausible reason as to why I perform exceedingly well in my English and Theatre courses.

I discovered that I excelled in English because it allowed me to utilize my creative thought process. Unlike mathematics, the world of literature could be perceived a million different ways and still be correct. It doesn't have to end up to an exact amount with the perfect numbers and decimals in the perfect places. In math, everything is so final and the end result must always be the same, every single time. However, in English, I could have a different opinion from the rest of my classmates and still be correct. While everyone in my Honors English II course believed Antigone to be the tragic hero in Antigone by Sophocles, I perceived Creon as the tragic hero. I wrote an essay about it and my teacher, upon reading it, realized my logic and was drawn to my frame of thinking. While the other students were correct, I wasn't wrong. The thing about literature is that the author never directly says things, leaving it to their audience to interpret it however they please.

Another thing with English is that I am able to write and not be told that I'm wrong. Of course, there are the usual grammar and syntax problems and people can say that I'm wrong but can never truly make me believe that I am incorrect. My writing contains my opinions and creativity. I am able to put into writing all the things frolicking about in my head and create something beautiful with it. People cannot say that my writing is incorrect because they don't know me, and therefore, cannot possibly know what was running through my mind. They can always disagree with me, which is fine but never say that my opinions are mistaken, for they are my own and no one else's.

As with Theatre, I believe that my strong desire as a child(and even as young adult) for story telling would contribute to my success in this area. Upon entering high school, I discovered that there were different ways for stories to be told. Instead of the books that I cherished, I unearthed an exciting and new art form. Through Theatre, not only could I tell stories through acting but I was able to put my own creative spin on my work. With books, I could only imagine the emotions that emanated from the characters but with acting, I could be them. Theatre allows me to do the things I love best: utilizing my artistry while telling stories.
... and always reluctant to set them down, especially when something exciting is just about to occur.

My great enthusiasm for books would most likely be the most plausible reason as to why I perform exceedingly well in my English and Theatre courses.

It doesn't have to end up at an exact amount with the perfect numbers and decimals in the perfect places.

The thing about literature is that the author never directly says things, leaving it to the audience to interpret it however they please.

...but can never truly make me believe that I am incorrect. My writing contains my opinions and creativity. I am able to put into writing all the things frolicking about in my head and create something beautiful with it them. ---Ha ha, I like that... frolicking about in my head.

...my strong desire as a child(and even as young adult) for story telling would ----This is just an idea for you. Some details are perfectly valid things to say, but they are not really useful enough to justify allowing them to take up space in the essay.

I like your theme!
OP blia08 1 / 3  
Thank you so much for your feedback!
ramei 1 / 1  
One thing that is that you tend to repeat the "can't be wrong" many times throughout the essay, and not just in this section I'm editing.

Another thing with English is that I can write and never be wrong . Of course, There are the usual grammar and syntax errorsand people can say that I'm wrongbut no one can n ever truly make me believe that I am incorrect. My writing contains my opinions and creativity. I am able to put into writing all the things frolicking about in my head and create something beautiful with it. People cannot say that my writing is incorrect (repeated again!) because they don't know me, and therefore, cannot possibly know what was running through my mind (a little too informal, perhaps?). They can always disagree with me, which is fine but never say that my opinions are mistaken, for they are my own and no one else's.

Home / Scholarship / "the enchanting world of literature" - subjects you excel in