Energy of knowledge pushes me forward. Why would you be a great participant in Global UGRAD Program?

brklyn498 1 / -  
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars". I don't exactly remember where I read this, but the saying had deeply ingrained in my heart, because I find a little piece of myself in it. One day, my beloved English teacher, who is, moreover, one of my life teachers, said: "it is not a shame to dream big, it is a shame to leave your dreams in your head". As a man of the world, he taught me that only through constant elimination of your own wall of ignorance, brick by boring brick, you will achieve a true wisdom and success. Calling me a coming man, he had high hopes on me, so I am not entitled to fail his expectations.

Being the chosen one among 30 students to enter local university was an omen for me that my constant learning was not in vain. A life as a student taught me that a fine line between the have and have-nots is about passion for life, being keen as mustard for new experience and no fear of trying. Even though my parents had tough time making real my studying, even they couldn't afford themselves a lot of things, I have a great motivation for me to achieve my dreams.

Currently I am a student of English faculty of Samarkand State Institute of Foreign languages. Truly, the institute gave me a fresh view for a life, but sadly, there is not a thing for which I am striving for my whole life of conscious person - cultural diversity, new opinions about world, unique milieu that only takes place only in a place of gathering of people from all over the world. The place that will totally change your attitude towards everything you know, you believe to be true, which in fact, sometimes is wrong, the place that will open your eyes and relieve you from delirium of ignorance. In fact, I know only one place in the world - the US. And this is not just a verbiage - I know it from my own experience.

The UGRAD program is a perfect chance for realization of my dreams. I believe that a semester in a US university will change my life upside down. My plan is not only to enlarge American culture with my own cultural account, but also to gain cultural lesson of the inhabitant of the US, and I think this cultural exchange would be beneficial for both sides. As goes to my academic research in the US, I am planning to strengthen my knowledge in TOEFL and learn the strategies for teaching American English which is absolutely benevolent for my country - a TOEFL teachers are something unique in our country.

I am open-minded person who eager to a new thinking, also I am already developing new strategies of teaching English along with practicing them on my own students. The institute staff and my friends know me as an active participant of any event, international or not, and I've been already honored to defend institute's honor at a National Language Contest (English) and got high 5th place (out of 16) in Tashkent. I am really eager to introduce Uzbekistan to the world and let them know that Samarkand has a lot of amazing cultural heritage.

I think that aforementioned traits can make me eligible for the program and I am perspective candidate. The last thing I would add is that I really feel that I am born to learn. The energy of knowledge is breathtaking. I live for that energy.
Khasan, the essay is not really strong enough for consideration as a candidate at this point. It is actually very wordy and long winded but it doesn't offer a proper response to the question of what makes you a great participant the Global UGrad Program. There is no mention of special skills, talents, or traits that would tell the reviewer that you deserve one slot among the thousands of participants in a program that takes in only 250 participants a year. You have to strengthen the application by writing a new essay.

In the new essay, you should concentrate on discussing how you plan to use your current academic background in furthering your academic skills and intellect during your semester abroad. That means that you have to present your strongest points as a student that goes beyond the GPA. Consider the programs and activities that the program provides and explain how you plan to participate in these events, such as community service, in order to broaden your horizons in terms of learning about cultural and racial diversity. As an English student, explain how you plan to develop a research paper based upon a relevant topic while participating in the program. TOEFL is not a good plan for research. That is a test that you have to take and pass in order to study in the U.S. It is not something that directly relates to your major. I would suggest looking into research about the history of Uncle Tom's Cabin and its writer, Harriet Stowe. This is an anti-slavery piece that will help you better understand the cultural diversity that exists in the U.S.

You have to sell yourself in this essay. Sell yourself using skills and a keen interest in learning about the diversity of the world based upon the American society and the culturally diverse members of the program through an active cultural exchange system offered by the program. Perhaps a little research into the background and objectives of the program will help you to better revise your essay.

Home / Scholarship / Energy of knowledge pushes me forward. Why would you be a great participant in Global UGRAD Program?