Engineering, For Msc admission in TU Delft (how to answer these six questions).

abdul muntaqim 1 / -  
A clear and relevant essay in English (2,000 - 3,000 words) addressing the following:
* Your motivation for taking the MSc programme of your choice.
* Why you wish to pursue this programme abroad and/or in the Netherlands in particular.
* Why you are interested in TU Delft.
* If there are optional specialisations in the Master's programme of your choice: which specialisation(s) interest you most, and why?
* Examples of three Master's thesis topics that interest you and with an explanation of your particular interest.
* A brief summary (maximum 250 words) of the thesis work or the final assignment done for your Bachelor's programme, including information on the credits earned, grade, and full workload.

I tried for this and I have written a essay but it is to short as required.Please help me in this regard to complete this sop.

Start of SOP
I am abdul Muntaqim Naji .I am from Pakistan .I am writing this letter in the hope of pursuing advance studies in your esteemed universities under the flag of Erasmus Mundus Minerals and Environmental Program in TU Delft. There are three different specializations in this program but I have selected Masters in Geotechnical Engineering because it is advance knowledge of my previous degree and I think I can perform better by doing this. The Master in Geotechnical Engineering allows engineering graduates to update their knowledge and learn in additional areas to those taken in their first degree. So that I want to study in Geo technical side because i have done bachelor degree in Geological engineering .so it very beneficial for me to go for the detail studies in Geotechnical engineering like in Soil Mechanics, Rock Mechanics, Tunneling engineering, Foundation engineering and Excavation engineering. Other factor in selection this Master program are the Recent devastating flood that badly effect the people of Pakistan and Energy crisis of Pakistan. For the rehabilitation of Flood affected people by constructing the basic infra-structure and to decrease the energy crisis my postgraduate degree is very important for country and myself as well.

It is a fact Pakistan is an under developed country and Master level education is not so much well developed in Pakistan. There is a little emphasis on research work during in MSc and PhD and there are only 2 universities that are offering Masters in Geotechnical engineering programme.The Primary motivation behind my selection of Tu Delft is the it's excellent Geotechnical Engineering department due to its faculty and lab facilities and secondary is the: language of instruction in university and dealing with local community that is in English. Such studies I believe are indispensable for my future development and benefit me throughout my life.

With help of my exposure at BUITEMS and UET I am interested in following topics for Master's thesis
1. Tunnel engineering
2. Rock Mechanics( 2D and 3D stresses)
3. Excavation Engineering
Tunnel engineering is my passion and during my Bachelor's program. I decide to become a good Tunnel engineer to serve my country because there are few tunnel experts in my country. The basic motivation for this topic is from my class project that I have done during Studies (mentioned in detail below).Latest news is that Metro is going to be launched in big cities of Pakistan like Lahore and Karachi. So such type of project will proof a good future for me. This subject (Tunnel engineering) created a great thrust in me to do MSc in it. In field tunnel engineer has a challenging job to fulfill and I love such type of job. For the completion of my ambition I have selected TU Delft and other universities that come under Erasmus Mundus Minerals and Environmental Program.

Rock Mechanics and Excavation engineering both are very interesting and important subjects in Geotechnical engineering especially 2D and 3D stresses and different method of measuring these stresses are significant topics of research. Rock Mechanics has also a particular role in Petroleum Industry. My third and final choice that is excavation engineering that is also a back bone of Geotech engineering especially different methods of excavation (Blasting, TBM and Road header) are very important in civil engineering projects.

I am mentioning here the great work that I have done with help our beloved teacher and chairman of our department Prof.Dr.syed Tahir Ali Gilani, who taught us Excavation Engineering and we have done a Design of Tunnel in his supervision during our studies. It was a road tunnel project during Bachelor degree that was a complete project from all sides. First of all the purpose of project and site geology helped us to select the specific site for Tunnel. we design the shape of tunnel, suggested it excavation method, blasting design and support system. We selected oval shape for our tunnel and it was two ways road tunnel .we have designed that tunnel by using NLC (National Logistic Corporation) Truck as a standard which is widest vehicle in Pakistan. We have selected Blasting because of high cost of TBM and the tunnel was not more than 1kms in length .Controlled blasting was done there. Latest support system was installed .Well developed drainage system was there to remove water from the tunnel. There was no ventilation problem there due short length of tunnel.I have got good grades in this assignment.

Actually now a days Pakistan is in Energy crisis. To cope with this crisis different Dam projects has been started .some are in Construction phase while others are in feasibility phase. Few of these dams are,NEELUM JHELUM ,BHASHA ,BUNJI,KALABAGHHYDRO POWER PROJECT. To complete these projects, a large number of Tunneling, Rock Mechanics, Soil Mechanics and Excavation experts and their expertise are required to solve different Geo technical problems. By get advance knowledge of Geotechnical engineering from best teachers in world at TUDelft University and other universities, help me to solve different types of problem in field after coming back from abroad. To increase my knowledge and to give technical assistance to my country Pakistan for these reasons I going to get admission here with help of Erasmus Mundus Minerals and Environmental Program. By doing this degree i will be able to work at different dames projects that I have mentioned above.

I am from an under developed rural area of the south Punjab, Pakistan. After completing by basic schooling, I was really aimless that what should I do? During my 8th year of education, I came to know about the importance of the field of engineering. Then I start looking toward the relevant reading materials. Eventually, after looking around and after consulting with my esteemed teachers, I decided to become an engineering professional. In 2005, I secure my admission in the field of Geological Engineering in one of our Top ranking university (University of Engineering and Technology Lahore Pakistan),and after four years comprehensive studies; I passed out in 2009 with my graduation degree. During this program I have joined different field trips and camps(Geological and Survey camp) that developed my interest more in this program. Through 4 years class experience in University of engineering and technology Lahore (UET), I have sound knowledge of Geotechnical relating Subjects like soil Mechanics, Rock Mechanics, Excavation Engineering, Slope Stability, Explosive Engineering, Drilling Engineering and Foundation Engineering.

At this time I am doing my duties as lecture in Baluchistan University of information technology, Engineering and Management sciences (BUITEMS) Quetta Baluchistan, Pakistan. In last 2nd Semester I have taught the subject of Introduction to Geo-Engineering where I cover complete introduction of each topic in this subject and Lab Practicals. Now I am Teaching two subjects to 1st semester and 3rd semester students, applied Geology and Structural Geology respectively.
...because it represents advanced knowledge related to my previous degree, and I think I can perform better by doing this.

Capitalize the word "I" and the first word of every sentence.

It is a fact Pakistan is an underdeveloped country, and master level education is not well developed in Pakistan.

There is little emphasis on research work during in MSc and PhD, and there are only 2 universities that are offering Masters in Geotechnical engineering programmes.

The Primary motivation behind my selection of Tu Delft is the it's excellent Geotechnical Engineering department due to its faculty and lab facilities, and secondary is that the language of instruction in university and dealing with local community that is in English.

Such studies I believe are indispensable for my future development and will benefit me throughout my life...

I am mentioning here the great work that I have done with help from our beloved teacher and chairman of our department, Dr. Syed Tahir Ali Gilani, who taught us Excavation Engineering, and we have done a Design of Tunnel under his supervision during our studies.

... to solve various Geo technical problems. By getting advanced knowledge of ...

Last semester, I taught the subject of ...

:-)

Good luck in your studies!!

Home / Scholarship / Engineering, For Msc admission in TU Delft (how to answer these six questions).