English CAHSEE ; Why do you want to become a City Year Corps member?

csdavies 1 / -  
In 300 words or less, tell us why you want to become a City Year Corps member.

Up until recently, I was unsure as to which direction I wanted to take my life. It occurred to me that I didn't want to stress myself out over what decisions were right or wrong for me. I just wanted to help people. So I applied for volunteer work whenever I could, and nothing brought me greater joy than to know that I may have made even the slightest difference; I may have helped make things just a little bit easier. Then, I was offered the opportunity to help assist and tutor students in an English CAHSEE class that my school required, and I knew that this was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

For my long-term goals, I wish to join the Peace Corps. I believe City Year can provide me with experience that is necessary to understand the classroom environment. While growing up, it was always made clear to me that what I could do for myself, I could also do for others. It was encouraged, emphasized through days helping at the local animals shelter, volunteering in my niece's classroom, buying a warm meal for someone on the street on a cold day, or other various little things. Nothing gives me the same sense of fulfillment than considering the possibility that I may have changed someone's day or out look for the better. That I may have given someone a reason to smile or done something to help.
Up until recently, I was unsure as to which direction I wanted to take my life.

Until very recent, I wasn't clear about in which direction I want to take my life.

However, it occurred to me that I didn't want to stress myself out over what was right or wrong for me. I just wanted to help people.

However, I kept realizing my selfless feelings and decided to help others who are in need regardless of keep analyzing the outcomes of this decision..... I summed up your above two ideas :)

Home / Scholarship / English CAHSEE ; Why do you want to become a City Year Corps member?