'English' - Gates Millennium Scholars Prompt: Subjects You Excel in.

mayeoli21 1 / -  
Prompt 1: Discuss the subjects in which you excel or have excelled. To what factors do you attribute your success? Use specific examples to illustrate how you succeeded.

My subject of strength is English, more specifically writing. It might have emerged as a silly hobby when I was thirteen years old. However, I realized that my writing fascination has helped me throughout my high school years. I owe my growth to my fanaticism for television programs. I have thought of various 'what if' situations involving characters and their fates. So, in reality, my imagination has a lot to do with my interest in writing. I have accumulated around one-hundred and ninety stories in four years and through those stories, I have noticed my progress and my writing styles. I also noted my understanding of characterization, literary elements, grammar, vocabulary, and plot lines. I think it is all very interesting because some of the craziest ideas I have come up with are the ones my readers enjoy the most and the ones I enjoy writing.

My writing has also excelled because I have joined a number of 'challenges' in a website called Live Journal. Through those challenges, my brain stimulates at least three types of situations for each theme (words or phrases that are listed so they could be used for writing). The challenges range from seven themes to five-hundred themes, and each challenge has a key factor, such as hugs, memories, romance, genres, and the hours in a clock. There are even weekly challenge contests where one entry per week is entered to compete with other entries for the same prompt, but different interpretation, and each week has a different word limit, so that in itself is something to consider.

Another factor that has contributed to my success in writing is reading. I have read books from L. J. Smith, Ellen Hopkins, Suzanne Collins, Sara Shepard, Elizabeth Chandler, Stephanie Meyer, William Shakespere, Corin Tellado, and William Blake, among others, and I have incorporated their writing styles into mine to challenge myself and see which one I am more comfortable mimicking. However, I have created my own styles to distinguish my work.

My 11th grade English teacher, Mrs. Mukherji, was responsible for preparing my class for the English Language and Composition AP Exam. We also had the opportunity to take college courses, such as English 1301 and 1302, along with high school courses, so the dual enrollment was very helpful. She taught my class and I different types of essay formats and how to properly use the MLA format for citing works in essays. Thanks to her strict syllabus, I was prepared for anything that came in the AP exam and I was able to score a 4 out of 5 on the test.

Although I dislike Social Studies, I have been able to succeed in U.S. history because of my professor, Mr. Pietrzak. He is the only teacher that has made me keep an organized binder and I always managed to do everything he asked for so I could have a high grade. His class was not difficult, but since it was a college class, it required a lot of effort from my part. I read every chapter, completed every homework assignment, participated in every class discussion, wrote every essay, and passed every exam, including the practice AP exams that evaluate a student's potential to pass the actual test. Despite my preference for other subjects, I was able to get an A for both HIST 1301 and 1302 courses and a 5 out of 5 on my U.S. History AP exam. Aside from history, Mr. Pietrzak also taught me how to keep a schedule for my assignments so that I would not have to stress over things that could pile up.

Comments are greatly appreciated!
crystal77 8 / 13 1  
I have accumulated around one-hundred and ninety stories in four years and through those stories, I have noticed my progress in my writing skillsand my writing styles . I have also noticed an increase in my understanding of characterization, literary elements, grammar, vocabulary, and plot lines.

(My writing has also excelled because I have joined a number of 'challenges' in a website called Live Journal) .

Although I dislike Social Studies, I have been able to succeed in U.S. history because of my professor, Mr. Pietrzak. He is the only teacher that has made me keep an organized binder and I always managed to do everything he asked for so I could have a high grade .

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

- Although the 2nd paragragh is good one, give background information on exactly what you mean b/c just saying the website name does not give the reader any association or a general idea of what your point might actually be

- Although lsting the authors name s good, you have to bear in mind that some people may not know the writers, what do they have in common, are located within a specific genre that can be useful to the reader to understand, you might want to consider that to they have a good sense of what you might be reading. you can even go for naming the books, might be pros novels, dramas, but make sure it has a strong connection to literature. The judges don't want to see that your readng any kind of book.

- Don't let the judges know that the teacher made you do something or that he/she is the only teacher that has made me keep an organized binder This is about your accomplishments what did you do what did you strive for. IF history wasn't always your best subject explain in another way how you overcame that struggle and how you succeeded.

- Make sure not to personalize it by saying "he is only" .

Other than that t was a decent essay. Keep it up!
check mine plz!
earynnm 3 / 9  
The essay is very well thought out. You shouldn't talk about how you don't like a subject because you never know who will be reading your essay

Home / Scholarship / 'English' - Gates Millennium Scholars Prompt: Subjects You Excel in.