I have been equiped on leadership skills - Chevening

Arcmichael042 3 / 5  

leadership Question from chevening

Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

A leader is one who is capable to do the following: creates an inspiring vision of the future, motivates and inspire people to engage with that vision.Leaders are defined, leaders are distinguished with great values and characters,leaders are made. I have been equiped on leadership skills as one of the skills to empower youths and for that purpose i have all adequate potential skills, professional experience and leadership potentials to lead and influence people in my country.

As a current member of Enugu youth development centre Enugu Nigeria, i have organised conference in different states within the country with other team leaders to empower youths with potentials relating to leadership skills, productive skills, social entrepreneurship skills, digital skills and agricultural skills in order to achieve sustainable development goals in my country.

I have undergone leadership skill training and also digital skill training which have added to my potentials and aslo gave me the ability to conduct several online conference on matters relating to problem of Nigeria which involves corruption, market challenges affecting Nigeria development, and human development challenges and possible strategies to resolve them. Through this digital skills i believe that internet is the fastest way to pass this information to our leaders thereby contributing to economic reformation.

In summary, the inspiring vision i heard for my country and how i motivates and inspire people to engage with that vision as a leader Who has undergone leadership skills trainings and series of research brought about the discovering of Challenges involving developments and invention of standard methodologies towards solving this economic challenges.
Ezeh, what you have explained here sounds more like the experiences you have are better presented in the networking skills portion of the application. While the reviewer will appreciate your personal definition of leadership, the context of your essay makes it appear that you do not have any leadership and influencing abilities within a professional context. Why is that? Are you not yet a professional in your field? Do you not handle a position of importance in your office that would allow you to lead a team and influence their abilities so that your professional or team objectives are met? We need solid examples of your leadership and influencing skills in action. Show us how you are an effective leader and influential person. Don't narrate things in a manner that doesn't really give us an idea of your leadership and influencing style and the reasons why you are an effective leader in this area who just may one day, be a leader of your country. These "achievements" are all about your training to be a leader. We need to read about a leader in action. So the essay that you wrote doesn't really support your application in terms of leadership and influencing abilities that the reviewer can actually take note of for consideration with your other documents and essays. This is one prompt that you cannot just "explain" away as the prompt requires concrete examples of how you conduct yourself as a leader and influencer on a small scale basis. The reviewer needs to assess if you have what it takes to become a major leader in your country after you complete the masters program. That way, you can be viewed as an asset to the alumni list of the Chevening scholar graduates.
Ezeh, in appreciation of your efforts to help others with their work, I am gladly reviewing your essay once again. I am not please with either version of your essay though. It still lacks clarity in the depiction of your leadership and influencing skills. You are always "implying" that you carry these traits and more within the discharge of your duties, but you do not provide solid examples of how you apply these in your workplace. We need specific and detailed instances of your leadership and influencing abilities. For example, describe the project that your team failed to accomplish. Explain why you had to focus the team on the bigger goal (influencing skill), then narrate how you were able to successfully mount the next project (leadership and influencing) if that is what happened or how you adjusted and learned, as a team from the failure so that you could correct it and then make a success of it. That is how you should present your leadership and influencing skill. Do not just imply the skills and provide summaries that don't really explain what the situation was, why it became that way, what needed to be resolved, and how the resolution was achieved through proper leadership and influencing.

Home / Scholarship / I have been equiped on leadership skills - Chevening