Escaping - how you have overcome financial or social difficulties, physical or emotional problem

Kumka 2 / 3  
1.Please explain how you have overcome financial or social difficulties, physical or emotional adversities which might have hindered you from studying during middle and high school.

escaping is not solution

Applying to UNIST three times was the biggest emotional obstacle I have ever experienced. Below is a long story, one girl who is not different from 7milliard humans in this earth as you are is opening to you the door to her INSIDE WORLD. Please, read it all!

My desire to study in Korea appeared in high school when I started to learn Korean language. After graduating from school, I could not apply to Korea, because I was not ready academically and mentally. However, I found a one-year-preparatory program- New Generation Academy (NGA) where I could have an opportunity to learn English and Math after which I would be able to apply to universities abroad. While studying at NGA, I heard from students about UNIST. At that moment I have filled with desire to study at UNIST. Honestly, when I started application process, neither I nor anyone believed for my successful application because of my poor English and little academic achievements. Despite that I decided to apply with only little hope.

When I opened the application of UNIST, I found out that I have to take official TOEFL iBT which made me scared mostly. With my English skills taking TOEFL was like flying pig. However, I didn't want to give up. I decided to take trial TOEFL and my score was overall 25. Still, I couldn't stop hoping to apply to UNIST and after a long time of thinking I decided to apply anyway. This decision turned around my life and exactly here starts my story. At that time, I had three most important things which I had to combine: preparing and passing TOEFL, writing essays for application and doing my homework on time. I had one month to write six essays and to increase my score from 25, also, I had classes with 40 credits per semester.

While filling out my application, I was writing and rewriting my essays again and again to make it better than before. I add to my essays the part of my heart. Therefore, the one who reads my essay can feel my passion for studying at UNIST and how hard I tried despite its grammatical mistakes. I liked my essays. They seemed me perfect because I could not write better...

Taking TOEFL IBT was like a war not only with reading, listening, speaking and writing difficulties, but also with self-discipline, time managing, and sleeping. At the beginning, it was hard getting use to sleep 3-4 hours, but time by time I accustomed to it. Whenever I got correct answers, it seemed like probability of acceptance to UNIST raised. I prepared day and nights ignoring everything except study. In course of time, I started to believe that I could be accepted and started to give all myself for application, to UNIST. Day by day, I noticed how my English was improving and my confidence for accepting UNIST was increasing continuously. In my dreams, I saw that I was studying at UNIST and then started to feel it as a reality. Finally, I got 91 points from TOEFL which at first was almost impossible, but I could do it anyway. This experience gave me more confidence for my ability to be accept to your university.

At the end of my story, I was rejected from UNIST, at that time it seemed like my life stopped and I lost my feelings because of shock, I could not neither cry nor smile. I became a gray part of the crowd. I realized that I was not ready for rejection because I was flying so much on my dreams. As if my life lost its meaning, maybe you can believe or not but death seemed easier than feeling those feelings. I did not want to do anything. I just wanted to escape. As soon as I graduated from NGA, I bought ticket to Moscow and decided never come back to my own country.

However, my escaping did not ease my pain. I realized that I had to stay face to face to my pain instead of escaping like coward. It was extremely difficult to find a courage to apply second time, but with my all strength I applied again. However, the result was as previously. Through this essay I want to say that my application processes to UNIST was one of my big life lessons which taught me to fail and to raise, to be confident at the same time to doubt, it showed me that the coin can get to either side, heads and tails are not important the main thing is to be ready to accept result. I am applying three times. My achievements and I am as a whole might still not be ready to study at UNIST but I don't give a fuck to adversities in the face of my goal. We born in this life just once. For me the meaning of life is pursuing your goal, dream, and desire. I am more than sure that if one has a strong desire then she/he can reach the mountain. I might be accepted and rejected as well. It does not matter how the result will be, it matters that I will continue living and dreaming and applying again!
Karina, the essay is about difficulties during your time in high school. It is not about your failure to enter your dream university. UNIST is a public science and technology university in Korea. The essay is clear that the discussion has to focus on hindrances that could have led to the hindering of your early to high school education. Based on the prompt discussion topics, it is safe to say that your discussion does not respond at all to the prompt requirements. You did not understand what was being asked of you in the discussion. Had you submitted this essay with the rest of your documents, you would have found your application immediately rejected. You have to write a new essay that does not focus on your desire to attend UNIST. You have to write an essay that focuses on your difficulties that prevented you from performing well in middle school and high school instead. Do not use this essay, it is not applicable, it will not be considered for your application. It does not provide the required information as per prompt requirements.
OP Kumka 2 / 3  
Thank you for your advice
I will keep in mind what you have said

Anyway, I have a question In the title they ask to write the financial, emotional or psychological problem and I wrote psychological maybe emotional problem so why my essay is not applicable.
It does not apply because you are discussing UNIST for most of the essay, which is a university in South Korea. You are being asked to discuss a problem in relation to your high school studies. That is why the essay is not applicable. UNIST is your dream university. It has nothing to do with your high school or middle school studies and difficulties. That is why this essay does not apply. You are discussing a topic that is not related to the prompt requirement. Perhaps you do not understand the English prompt very well? Try to find someone to translate the prompt for you to your native language, then maybe you will understand why you cannot use this essay as the topic you chose, your rejection from UNIST, is not the proper topic to discuss in this essay. Neither is your escape from your home country. Try to discuss your financial, emotional, or psychological difficulties while you were in middle school or high school. Do not relate it to your dream of attending UNIST. UNIST has nothing to do with the prompt you were provided and should not be made a part of the discussion.

Home / Scholarship / Escaping - how you have overcome financial or social difficulties, physical or emotional problem