'eldest child in my family' - Essays for applying Chevening Scholars

Angela Nang 4 / 10  
3.Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influences in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

Being the eldest child in my family, I usually have to take the initative to show the youngers how to do things. As I want to be a good role model for my siblings, I have to behave well at both academic and characters. I try to be mature and usually do not compete with them. When I was student, I used to be team leader at school activities. Since I was relatively good at academic, I helped my peers in their studies as well. My hobby, writing, makes me influential to some extents.

I graduated with Bachelor of Pharmacy and currently, I am working at Department of Food and Drug Administration, Kachin State. My first posting was at Tachileik Myanmar-Thai Border, the famous golden triangle. I am the very first regulatory pharmacist when our department is founded at there. It was not familiar to the people as there has no FDA department before. My responsibilities include the inspection of the pharmacies, regulate the import-export of pharmaceutics and advocate the public for health education. The former Food and Drug Supervisory Committees of township did not include FDA staff. Therefore I requested the chairman to reform the committees again.

I got the negative feedback from people when the unregistered importation of medicines were arrested. As they never know about the National Drug Law, they fail to apply for importation license. It is difficult for the people to understand the terms and conditions of the registration process. Thus I involved every trade promoting meeting held by the Department of Commerce in order to convince the traders to follow the guidelines. It took almost six months to be accepted by the traders and the agencies gradually. The Department of Customs projected custom clearing agents class, and so, it helped me to introduce the rules and regulations of pharmaceutics to many companies.

In addition, the retail and whole sale pharmacy stores did not know the Good Pharmacy Practice (GPP) and Good storage Practice (GSP). In that case, I had to cooperate with Food & Drug Supervisory Committee and scheduled an advocating programme. Although it was hard because of some conflicts, if could be concluded as a fruitful advocacy. The number of the registered pharmacy stores was increased to double as people began to aware for drug selling licenses and regulations.

I assume that the obstacles I have to face train me to become more self-controlled and intend to be leader. The things handled by myself promote my confidence. The seed of leadership is being cultivated in my mind and thus I attempt to be a responsible leader in the future.
ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
Hi Angela, here's my analysis towards your essay. I hope you can follow through.

1st paragraph:
- I graduated withfrom ....... Universityas a Bachelor of Pharmacy...
- My first posting(I have no idea what this means. is it workplace or what?) was at Tachileik Myanmar...
- I amwas the very first regulatory pharmacist when ourthis department iswas founded at there.in that place .
- ItThis department was not familiar to the people as there haswas no FDA department before.
- My responsibilities includedthe inspection of theinspect pharmacies, regulate the import-export of pharmaceutics, and advocate the public for health education. (should be paralleled)
- Therefore, (comma needed) I requested the chairman ...

2nd paragraph:
- It is unfortunate that I got the negative feedback from people when the unregistered importation of medicines werewas arrested. (singular)
- As they never know about the National Drug Law, they failed to apply for importation license.
- It is difficult for the people to understand the terms and conditions of the registration process. (not all nouns can use article "the". please be careful)

- Thus, (comma needed after a cohesive device) I involved every trade promoting meeting...
- It took almost six months to be accepted by the traders and the agencies gradually.(I have no idea why did you put "gradually" there. Did you mean respectively/successively?)

- The Department of Customs projected custom clearing agents' (an apostrophe needed) class...

As you can see Angela, there are some works that you still need to do. I hope the above-mentioned feedback would be helpful. I left the other two paragraphs to be corrected by others or you yourself by using some clues that I've given for the first and the second paragraph. Good luck for that :)
OP Angela Nang 4 / 10  
@ichanpants89 Thanks for your assessment. ☺

Home / Scholarship / 'eldest child in my family' - Essays for applying Chevening Scholars