Everyone's approach to leadership is different. Global UGrad Leadership Essay

judantoatp 2 / 3  
Hello everyone, please kindly give my essay a constructive comments for my Global UGrad application, thank you in advance :)

-----------------------------

Essay Choice A: John Quincy Adams said, "If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." Everyone's approach to leadership is different. How would you describe your personal leadership style? What values do you consider the most important when leading others? How do you inspire and influence others to get behind your vision?

leader have to possess a visionary mind

I never learn about leadership from my lecturer in campus since I am a science student. I get a big picture towards leadership and learn about it mostly because of my non-academic activities in my campus like being an organizer in student activities unit and being a student laboratory practice assistant. I'm so grateful that I've ever given the chance to learn more to be a leader in some occasion like being a Head of Public Relation Division in my student activities unit during 2016 and on 2017 I was trusted to being the coordinator of Aquatic Microbiology laboratory practice assistant on my sixth semester and General Microbiology laboratory practice assistant on my seventh semester of college. I am coordinating 3 person in the Public Relation Division while on the Assistant Team I am coordinating 14 person.

By that experience, I learned a lot about how to be a good leader for the team member that I lead. From being a leader, I have to realize and understand that each person in this world is possess a different also unique life background. Based on this mindset, I was able to understand each of my team member competence from doing the assignment given for them because mostly putting the proper task for the correct person based on their competence in a team will generate a better result.

I couldn't agree more that being a leader doesn't mean that he must do all of the task by himself, doing all of the work alone is not the duty of a leader. Being a leader means that he must trust in his team member and put a responsibilities on them to done the task and getting closer to the teams goals together. From trusting the team member to done a task, I am sure that it will give them chance to develop themself and will give them a positive impact towards their life from being a member in the team. I've found it that one of the most important skill to lead a group of people is we must show our genuine concern towards our team members. Treating our team member as our own family member is the best way to construct a good bond and connection between the team member and also naturally will form a good teamwork. I believe that a good teamwork within the team will help the team pursue their goals together.

For me, a leader have to possess a visionary mind and must be able to view something from many point of angle and perspective towards solution of a problem or innovation and ideas especially among all of his team member. These kind of traits combined with the creativity and participation of the team member will help the team to reach their goals forward. A leader is not someone which all of his ideas and speech must be agreed and obeyed by every team member, a leader is someone that could discussing his ideas and his team member ideas together and then the aspiration will concluded in a consensus. Final words, a leader must act as role model for his team member because leadership is practiced more in attitude and in action.
Arie, this essay comes across more as a hypothetical scenario rather than an interview wherein you discuss how you embody your ideal of a leader and how it defines who you are as a person. Perhaps this is because of your lack of actual leadership skills which, although you narrate in the early part of the essay, indicates that you performed mostly assistant leadership roles where you enact orders from others within the team. While it is a leadership form, it is not true leadership where you are tasked with the final decision making and command responsibility for your team decisions and results. You imply an actual leadership role as the head of the public relation division, but you do not extend that information beyond a mere mention of the position and organization.

I am not very confident in the content of your essay at this point because it does not elucidate your leadership style and form in any way. I believe that you need to focus your essay on a longer explanation of how your leadership role in the division allowed you develop a leadership style then explain it. I am almost certain that you are not familiar with the leadership style names so it would be in your best interest to familiarize yourself with the various leadership styles, identify which one you used as the head of the division, then build your new essay based upon that definition. This will also help you to figure out a special type of leadership value that you can highlight as the most important part of leadership , in your opinion, based upon this style.

By the way, it is not necessary to explain that you did not learn about leadership in school. The first few sentences of this essay indicate a negative perception of you as a person and an inability to be an effective leader. You could omit the academic part and simply say that your leadership experience stems from your experience as the head of the division. Then indicate an important or highlight event of that leadership to help define your leadership style. Keep the essay looking positive at all times. Sound confident all the time, even when you are filled with uncertainty and self-doubt.

Home / Scholarship / Everyone's approach to leadership is different. Global UGrad Leadership Essay