Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

"Excelling subjects and Factors to my success" - Short essay

tjay3193 2 / -  
This is my first time using this forum, because I really need help on my English.
My english is horrible, and I would really appreciate if anyone would be help me make my essays make more sense. Thank You.

If the maximum number of characters are 7800 characters, how much should I really write for a 9 part essay? Do I really do the whole 7800? That's a lot of reading for my readers...

Discuss the subjects in which you excel or have excelled. To what factors do you attribute your success?

#1
I excel in the science and mathematics subject. Ever since I was a child, my father has encouraged me to become an engineer of some sort. Having this knowledge, I knew that I would have to succeed in the math and science area. I studied very hard in my freshman year and and received high A's in all my classes, but the effort I put into my math and science classes were no where near the effort I put into my English and social subjects. As my high school journey continued, my sophomore and junior year grades in math and science constantly reflected my persistent studies. My other subjects still mirrored my main subjects, but it was not the same passion and commitment I had for classes such as Pre-Calculus, Physics, or Chemistry. It makes me proud and gives me confidence that I am able to excel at subjects not everyone may be able to succeed at. It gives me hope that I am able to continue my education in college because of my determined attitude to be the best at what I do. My success comes from football and my family. I have been a part of my high school football team since freshmen year. This football program in my school has taught me many life lessons that I thought I would never learn from such an organization. It has taught me character, discipline, and commitment. During the hardest times in practice and games, I have learned to control my mental ability and to push forward. Football has created a mental toughness for my brain, and I use this technique to excel in my academic studies. Achieving success in these two subjects were not a roller coaster ride. I've had some tough times in my studies when I just wanted to give up and quit. But football taught me how to be mentally tough and focus on my goal. I have learned to fight through 105 degree weathers, sprained ankles, bloody cuts, and painful bruises, and not many students my age have experienced the battles I have fought. Persistence is a mark in my heart that will never erase, and this attribute has lead me to my success in anything I put my mind in to. Another attribute that leads to my success is my family, my parents especially. These two persons are the most important people in my life. They have done so much for me and in return, all they request of me is to study hard and become successful. I want to fulfill their wishes as they encourage me everyday to become the best.

5423 Characters remaining..yes i know that's a lot remaining.

Discuss the subjects with which you had difficulty. What factors do you believe contributed to your difficulties? How have you dealt with them so they will not cause problems for you again? In what areas have you experienced the greatest improvement? What problem areas remain?

#2
The subjects that I have the most difficult with is English and Social Studies. Because I was born learning Korean first, it was a hard transition for me to change to the English language; I would sometimes say the Korean word for restroom and my teachers would look at me with a befuddled look on their face. Speaking Korean at home and English outside of home was not an easy subject. My parents have a lack of ability to speak and understand English, so I would have to do my part and speak Korean to them, but this comfort zone would leave when I had to go back to school. I have had a hard time with English grammar and writing, and still to this very day I find it very difficult for me. Because Social Studies and History is very similar to English Language and Skill, I also had a hard time excelling at this subject as well. Even though my grades were similar to my grades in Math or Science, I simply just did not seem like I had the same expectations like that of Math and Science. Math is just numbers and puzzles, while Science is concepts and systems, but English and History have a deeper complexity that I cannot ease into. To help myself in these two subjects, I began to read more English novels and books. I heard someone say, "You can't write if you can't read, and you can't read if you can't write..." From this revelation, I began to start my endeavor in this difficulty area. My parents encouraged me to read numerous amounts of books, and I slowly found enjoyment in many of the novels and English literature I read. I have improved tremendously in my speaking skills, and have a strong voice; my school has even requested me to do the morning announcements. History subjects are becoming less difficult, now that I can read the text books like a normal novel I would read in my spare time. I still do not have the same passion, that I have for math and science, but these two subjects that were once great walls in my path, are slowly chipping away. I still have some embarrassing moments when my English is twisted between my tongue, and the History Text is a sleeping tool, but that is the beauty of education. I will never stop learning.

5634 remaining

Briefly describe a situation in which you felt that you or others were treated unfairly or were not given an opportunity you felt you deserved. Why do you think this happened? How did you respond? Did the situation improve as a result of your response?

#3
Being Asian, is not always the best characteristic in an American society. Over the past years, I have experienced racism for my appearance and where I generally come from. School was not the most favorite place on my list, and being in a town with a low percentage of Asians made me isolated from my society and community. However, the only time I felt like I belonged some where was when I went on a thirty-five minute drive down to Austin every Sunday to my church, where other fellow Asians "united"; I knew this couldn't be my only source of refuge. I would be made fun of for my eyes, my language, and culture, and no one was really there to stand up for me. If I tried to stand up for my self, there would be a group of the same ethnicity right behind the Black-Americans, Caucasians, or Hispanics. As the kids in the community and myself matured, I would receive less hostility from others, but still the prejudice remained somewhere. It wasn't until my athletic ability allowed to me to distinguish myself in front of others. I became involved in school sports, such as basketball, football, and track. People in my team would still question me and insult me, but I shrugged it off and accepted that I was an alien among the society, since obviously this part of town has never acquainted with an Asian. As I grew up in the sport community, I became accepted and acclaimed in school. I would be the only Asian on the basketball team, football team, and track team. My Asian factor made me unique, because many of my excelling teammates would be African-American or White. Continuing these activities in high school, the students I played sports with became like brothers too me. Some left and new people came, but I quickly grabbed there attention by working hard, having a positive attitude, and always being optimistic. New Coaches I met would doubt my ability at first, but by giving hundred percent in my practices, they acknowledged my existence. Everything is different now then it was before. Instead of walking in the hallways with my head town, I am able to lift my body up and be unashamed of who I am. Taking a step out of the bubble, made me welcomed into a environment that I thought was so dangerous. I am not known by the "Asian" anymore, but a regular team member just like everyone else. My self-esteem has boosted tremendously, because I have worked hard to become a part of a respected organization. It was not an easy ride, to be at the position I am right now, but I have gained so much respect from my teammates, coaches, and even the community itself, by working hard and creating a strong will of fire in my heart. I have learned from this experience that If I want to gain respect, I have to do everything I can to receive it. Even though I felt like I was being treated unfairly in my life because of my ethnicity, doesn't mean I can just sit back and watch someone else serve justice for me. I discovered that I have to let go of all pride and arrogance and reach out for humility and humbleness, if I want to grasp an important opportunity.

Discuss your short and long-term goals. Are some of them related? Which are priorities?

REMOVED

I know this is a handful. But again I would really appreciate any Edits on any essays! i know my grammar is horrible but please give me any kind of advices!

Home / Scholarship / "Excelling subjects and Factors to my success" - Short essay