Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

'experience as a manufacturing engineer' - MY SOP FOR CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP

saravanaiit 1 / -  
Hello there,

can someone review my essay?

SOP:

As a young boy, I had an attraction for fast cars. I still remember vividly watching Alain Prost's Ferrari chasing down Ayrton Senna's McLaren, both exchanging positions lap after lap. Even though I was watching it on television, I felt a rush of adrenalin through my veins. I would be wondering what it would feel to drive those machines. I would be filled with enigma seeing the way these mean machines snaked through the narrow tracks and silky hairpin. The seeds for my passion towards automobile engineering were sowed right then. Now as a grown up when I watch those old tapes I can still feel the same excitement. What had now changed is the way in which I admire those beauties, not as an amateur but as an enthusiast keen to unravel the mysteries behind their marvelous abilities. What started as a past time then has grown into a passion through the years.

After completing high school, I was pretty sure to get into an automotive engineering course at the prestigious ************* , the best automotive school in South India. But the highly competitive nature of technical education in India restricted my options. Realizing the base of all mechanical engineering courses was same; I decided to take production engineering in the same school. The courses that attracted me the most were physical metallurgy, manufacturing and machining processes, operation research and TQM techniques. For my final year project, I worked on the research topic "Modeling and Optimisation of Machining parameters of cylindrical grinding on aluminium-silicon carbide". The aim of the project is to develop a method of manufacturing Al-SiC metal matrix composites in a cost effective manner.

Though my curriculum was oriented in turning me into a manufacturing engineer, the automotive freak in me refused to die. To further quench my thirst for knowledge, I turned my attention towards the other available sources of knowledge. I spent my lunch breaks and after school hours at the library reading Bosch automotive handbooks and SAE magazines. This helped me to understand how various subsystems work independently and in coordination to make the vehicle roll on its wheels. I was lucky to get an opportunity to interact with the nearby automobile and auto-component manufacturers like Ford Motor Company, UCAL fuel systems and Rane Engine valves limited. This gave me a practical insight on how the theoretical knowledge gained in the classroom gets applied in the industry. I kept myself updated about the latest trends and hot talks in motorcar industry like Kinetic Energy Recovery System, Adaptive Dampers, DSG transmission, Carbon ceramic disk brakes, Lotus Omnivore engine through Internet and television programmes. Indeed, most of my college level presentations were focused on the above mentioned topics.

After completing my undergraduate program, I got selected at *************** and **************. My love for automobiles made me to choose the latter. At ************, I was exposed to the manufacturing practices and working principles of fuel injection pumps, injectors and fuel filters. I also underwent training on ISO-TS16949 and ISO 14001 systems, environmental management system, 5S practices, Statistical Process Control tools, industrial safety, cutting tools and fluids, lubrication, metrology and measurements. Now two year down the lane, my work portfolio as a manufacturing engineer consists of new process introduction, preparation of process flow diagrams, identifying and attacking potential failure modes through process FMEA, responding to customer complaints with immediate actions to narrow down to the root cause and eliminate them by introducing fool proofing in the assembly line. Apart from professional job roles, I was also involved in Corporate Social Responsibility activities. I volunteered in organizing various personal hygiene programs, environmental education programs and teaching physics through interactive learning tools at various orphanages.

My two years experience as a manufacturing engineer gave me a deep insight in the various systems that run the manufacturing firm. I am happy that my professional life was close to automobiles, and in future I am willing to take it even closer through a master degree in automotive engineering from a prestigious institution in UK. In the near future, I envision a career in Product Design in an organization with intense R&D activities, wherein I would apply my gained knowledge and skills to make the world perceive benchmark quality, value and trust in the label "Made in India". The chevening scholarship if offered will provide the necessary funding for my master degree program, which presently is the only impediment to me. As a famous saying goes "follow your dreams, for as you dream you shall become", it's my dream to become an automotive engineer and I would feel proud if chevening scholarship serves as a launch pad for my dream to take wings.

regards,
S.Saravana

Home / Scholarship / 'experience as a manufacturing engineer' - MY SOP FOR CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP