Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

Expressing my thoughts on community service, and the effects of this scholarship

J Raye 1 / 1  
Instructions: Express your thoughts on community service, and describe the effects that this scholarship will have on your life.

Being a part of a community, we all share the responsibility of helping and supporting each other. It is the most important thing we can give. I first began volunteering during my freshman year of high school through a group at my school called W.A.V.E. (World Awareness through Volunteering and Education) The group was started a few years before by several students at New Knoxville as a service project. W.A.V.E. gives students the opportunity to donate their time to serve the community and world.

During my senior year in the program, I have volunteered to head up the nursing home committee with another senior. I am currently in charge of scheduling dates for the club to visit The Gardens Assisted Living in Wapakoneta, and organizing the activities we will do once we get there. Our goal is to visit the home every other month. So far this year, we have made roughly four visits. It is always a pleasure to see the effect it has on the residents. We're always welcomed with a large turn out, and everyone has a great time. The most rewarding part of the experience is being able to interact with the residents on a personal level. They are all very lively and always ready to share a story with us. From decorating cookies for Valentine's Day to playing a spirited game of Bingo in the winter, visiting The Gardens is always a wonderful experience for all of us. However, it is not the only volunteering W.A.V.E. members participate in.

My time spent contributing to W.A.V.E. has inspired me to continue volunteering after I graduate. When I look back on my life years from now, I want to feel like I have made a difference in the world, even if it's a small one. Volunteering will give me the chance to experience diversity in a way I might not be able to otherwise. It will also give me the opportunity to make the difference I strive for, inside and outside of my community.

I was accepted to Bowling Green State University last September, and gained entrance into their Biology and Nursing programs. I plan to take all courses required for admittance into the nursing program at University of Toledo through BGSU during my freshman year of college. After that first year, all nursing students are required to test into the program at UT before they are accepted. If I discover nursing is not my forte within that year, I still plan on transferring to UT. I will use my previous knowledge gained from the science classes provided by BGSU to obtain a six-year degree as a Physician's Assistant, or earn a major in Biomedical Engineering. Once I graduate from college I wish to immediately apply for a position in an E.R. Once I have established a steady career within the hospital, my next step will be to volunteer my medical expertise at national and international levels. This would include, among other things, disaster relief and medical assistance in third world countries. I have also been considering joining the Peace Corp. However, none of this will be possible without first collecting the fees required for college.

The average cost for attending BGSU is roughly $22,000 a year, not including lab costs that are required for all science courses. I live in an average income household, and I have maintained average grades throughout high school. These factors make it more difficult for me to gather the scholarship money I need. However, I have no desire to take out any loans. My parents have taught me that where there is a will there is a way and there is no reason why I should owe anyone money. That being said, I am paying entirely in scholarships for my education, so every penny counts to me. As I mentioned earlier, I live in an average income household with five family members. My parents have plenty of financial concerns without the added stress of college costs. Regardless, they have generously offered to make up the difference if I am unable to procure the full $22,000. As a gift to them, I am determined to ensure their check books remain closed.

*I'm having problems coming up with a proper closing paragraph. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Home / Scholarship / Expressing my thoughts on community service, and the effects of this scholarship