Fascination with Korean culture and psychology - personal statement for KGSP - Psychology major

Arisama 1 / -  

scholarship application for the graduate program

- Motivations with which you apply for this program
- Family and Education background
- Significant experiences you have had; risks you have taken and achievements you have made, persons or
events that have had a significant influence on you
- Extracurricular activities such as club activities, community service activities or work experiences
- If applicable, describe awards you have received, publications you have made, or skills you have acquired,
etc.

I have been encountering social contrasts since my childhood. My mother and father are from small communities called Deori and Bodo, respectively, which is spread all over Assam, and I was brought up in Gujarat. As a kid, I was extremely fascinated by various cultures. At the point when new students used to come for cultural exchange in our school, I always went to them to converse about their culture and language. Yet, the Korean culture caught my eyes, I can still recollect the day when they performed their traditional dance at our school. From that instance, I knew that I wanted to study in South Korea. I don't want to limit myself to experience all the cultures of India, but of other countries as well. I belong to a middle-class family from Guwahati, Assam. My mother attended till twelfth grade and my father attended till diploma. My father is from a poor background, he paved his way to this extravagant life because of his diligent effort and devotion to his studies. I didn't want to be a huge burden to him and make him proud because of which I wanted to apply for this scholarship.

My parents are slightly strict, but still, support me for the things I want to do. When I told them, I wanted to be an astronaut, they sent me to tuition so that I can get good grades and when I told them that I wanted to be a doctor, they taunted me but eventually paid for my tuition so that I can clear the medical examinations to get into a good college. My cousin was suffering from depression and died a couple of years ago which left me devastated because of that I wasn't able to focus on studies or on my normal life. I was feeling helpless that I wasn't there to save her. If I had noticed earlier, I would've helped her. Because of this, I wanted to become a psychologist, I want to help those people who are suffering silently. I want to be their hope. This led me to enrol myself in a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology. I assembled myself and begin to effectively participate and focus more on my studies. My grades are comparatively getting better, in these two years, my GPA for four semesters is 3.7 out of 4.0.

When I was in 8th grade, I was selected to be a Prefect. It was the most joyful moment in my life. My parents were exceptionally proud of my accomplishment. I was bestowed upon a huge responsibility to represent our school for any ceremony or event. It made me more confident in myself. I was devoted to this role and helped out the students who had some minor disparities or difficulty in maintaining proper hygiene.

Throughout my life, I was very active when it came to extracurricular activities be it in any competition or events, I loved to go to new events and participate despite the fact that I barely won anything. Even though, it didn't stop me from participating in various competitions. I came first in the Patriotic song competition which was organized by our school and Indian Overseas Bank, I also got various positions in different Rangoli competitions and also secured respectable rank in different competitions. In my bachelor's, I did my internship in NGOs for example, Indian Council for Child Welfare and Mendlife Foundation and In some private institutes such as Saarthi Corporation and ISCAH. I participated in various online workshops and webinars. I even opened a small online business of merchandise during the pandemic, but ultimately need to shut it down because of lack of materials. I even did Bharatnatyam for 8 Years and performed it in various events. During my internship at Mendlife foundation, my work got published on June 4, 2021, on their website. It was on the topic of "Homosexuality: a genetic, sociological and psychological overview".

With my distinct fascination with Korean culture and psychology, I believe that this scholarship will help me achieve my dreams to help others in need. I want to do something which the whole nation and my parents will be proud of. I want to save as many lives as I can so that I will have this great accomplishment in my life which I can smile upon.
The applicant appears to have previously completed an U degree already. A situation that could lead to the application being considered less than the primary degree applicants. If that is not the case, then it should be made clearer to the reviewers. There is a portion in this essay that portrays the applicant as a wandering, unfocused person, lacking any true ambition that was seriously pursued. such a lack of proper motivation and related extra and co. curricular activities makes this a less considerable application. The writer tends to contradict himself in the essay as well. A scholarship is fear students who are lacking in study funds who wish to continue studying locally or abroad. By saying that the applicants father is a self-made wealthy man who lives extravagantly, the student has practically assured the rejection of this application.
@Arisama
Try to be professional writer don't get immersed in portraying yourself IT will sound them rude as far I know about the scholarship. Otherwise i think you are going good.

Home / Scholarship / Fascination with Korean culture and psychology - personal statement for KGSP - Psychology major