Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

Financial Assistance letter for Anthropology mature student

Michelluu 2 / 3  
Hello all,

I am new here, so Hi to everyone and I am glad that I've found this forum. I need to write a financial assistance letter with following instructions:

The Applicant should append a statement giving fully the reason for needing financial assistance, with an account of his/her particular interests including social activities and of any outstanding qualifications, which specially support his candidature.

Please bear in mind that I am not a native English speaker. Cheers in advance!!

If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't you are right.

This quote by Henry Ford represents my philosophy of life and it runs like a golden thread throughout my life.

I come from a less privileged family - my mother raised my two sisters and myself as a single parent - and therefore I needed to move out with the tender age of fifteen in order not to be a financial burden for my mum anymore. Ever since I supported myself, at first with the meagre income from a massage apprenticeship, and later with low paid jobs in the leisure industry. However, I never stopped learning and progressing and with the age of twenty three I needed to change my professional life due to medical reasons. I then started to work myself up in various office-jobs and I also pursued a foundation degree in Marketing & Management.

Since I was I child I dreamed to travel the world, to live and work in foreign countries and subsequently I moved to London with the age of twenty-eight. The experience of a new cultural setting, a new language and the interaction with people from around the globe made me even more realise that I am at home in the world. Consequently, after one year of working in London, I travelled to India for six months, in order to volunteer in a school in North India. Although it was a massive culture shock, the experience I gained in India - with its cultural, culinary and lingual diversity and the incredible hospitable and friendly locals - made me realise that I want to gain a deeper insight in different societies and their culture around the world.

After coming back to London and working for two years in an English office as Administrative Officer, I completed a part-time University Access course, and the following year, I started my full time degree in Social Anthropology at Brunel University. It was a brave step for me to go back into full-time education, as the thought of having no regular income and having to take up a student loan was more then daunting. The situation was aggravated even more by the fact that I can not fall back on financial support from my family. Therefore, ever since I started University, I support myself with two part-time jobs in order to make ends meet, as the student loan covers only tuition fees and the monthly rent. This however means that I do not have as much time for my studies as I want to have, and sometimes the situation becomes very cumbersome. Nevertheless, this has not deterred me academically; in fact I am one of the best in class with straight A's on every assignment.

However, as the third year is fast approaching with the dissertation to write up (for which I want to do research in Africa over the coming summer months) and the normal assignments and exams on top of it, I would struggle even harder to keep on top of my game with two part-time jobs. Therefore, I am hoping for financial support from your Foundation, so that I will conquer my field as a very successful Anthropologist, as I am planning to pursue a PhD in Medical Anthropology.

The little spare time I have, I invest in two societies: the Anthropology society and the Film society (for which I stand as the secretary). I am an active member of both, meaning that I help organise talks, events, screenings and social meet-ups. If time allows I love to be in the nature and go for walks with my friends.

Home / Scholarship / Financial Assistance letter for Anthropology mature student