I find networking very easy and enjoyable - Chevening writing

Lauretta 3 / 6  
Chevening is looking for individuals with strong networking skills

networking is crucial for professional growth

Most people find networking difficult but I find it very easy and enjoyable. Over the years, I have had several opportunities to showcase my networking skills. At age 18, my mother passed away and I got a part-time job as a brand promoter for a bottling company. The task involved advertising and marketing the brand to prospective consumers. We shuttled several locations persuading people to try out the new brand. Therefore, I had the chance to interact with people from different backgrounds, cultures and businesses. This experience improved my ability to communicate and listen actively. This was the first opportunity I had to showcase my networking skills and as a result of the network I acquired, upon graduation from the university, I got my first job in Multichoice Nigeria, the country's leading TV service provider.

In my current job, I am in charge of social activities where I organize team building events quarterly and end of the year activities. The aim of these activities is to increase optimism and also encourage teams to work together effectively thus increasing productivity. I am responsible for planning a budget, seeking a venue, creating new themes for each event, setting up activities, managing and coordinating teams at the event. This role has given me the opportunity to meet and interact with all staff and various departmental heads of the bank. At the end of the year party last year, I had the privilege to speak with the chairman of the bank, we realized that we attended the same secondary school and I pitched an idea of a mentorship program for young alumni. My idea is currently being implemented by the board members of the alumni association of my Alma Mata. I have also created a personal network of vendors, suppliers and tour guides, with this I receive discounts which reduces the cost and capital spent by the bank on each event.

I believe networking is important for professional growth, as a Chevening awardee, I would experience diversity, combine new cultures, expand my horizon and also have the opportunity to exchange perspectives with unique individuals from around the world thus preparing me for my future goals.
KnowledgeSeeker - / 2  
Lauretta,

Though I may not be a guru but i think your first paragraph is not well structured to catch someones attention thereby propelling him to read the remaining part of your essay.

Your closure is perfect and simple. I believe that you should work on your opening paragraph.

@ Holt, Please your attention is needed for an honest and unbiased review of this essay.
Lauretta, your explanation regarding networking is not very convincing. You were not able to convince me that you have the background in network development and the existing network infrastructure in place that can be developed into a potentially effective professional network for yourself and the future Chevening scholars that you will be mentoring. The experience that you explained at the age of 18 regarding sales was nothing more than that. A job that had you brought to various locations to sell products. There was no convincing factor that would lead me to believe that the people you spoke to at the time became a part of your professional network at present. You only sold them products, during which time you interacted with them. There was no actual networking or network cultivation involved in that task.

Not even your second and experiences have any reference to the kind of professional network that could provide an interesting angle for your application to the reviewer. The description of your social activities work does not create any venue for you to provide a networking skill. Such say, a party planner would with her network of suppliers, caterers, product manufacturers, etc. As which, a party planner would have explained the reasons behind the need to create such a network and what benefit these gave in terms of professional accomplishment and growth.

The same goes for your explanation regarding the meeting with the chairman of the bank. A professional reviewer will immediately spot an exaggeration in your presentation as your level of involvement in various activities as per your earlier descriptions would not have led you to a level of professional networking that would have you mingling with the owner of the bank himself. This will be called into question and, additional information will be required of you such as the name of the bank, the chairman, the name of the project you supposedly created, and some other information for verification.

My advice to you is this, read up on the networking examples available here. Look at how they explain their network creation and cultivation examples and follow suit. Do not exaggerate, do not make up information. Stick to proper networking examples as they exemplify it. This current essay falls short of the networking examples of a Chevening scholar. It is at this point where you should have company names, at the very least, to refer to as part of your network with an explanation of how that happened. More importantly, you should be able to explain why your network will make you an asset to the Chevening community as a scholar and as a mentor in the future. There is nothing in your current essay that convinces me of that objective as of this moment.
OP Lauretta 3 / 6  
@knowledgeSeeker thank you for taking time to review my essay.

@ Holt I appreciate the feedback. I will do as you have stated and rewrite a convincing essay
penahouse 2 / 5  
@Lauretta
I found that the networking experience is too simple and not very convincing for me. Maybe you should write about how you get the best out of your networking based on your work experience? I think that would do better!

Home / Scholarship / I find networking very easy and enjoyable - Chevening writing