After finish my master course I plan to get a job in a governmental and/or oil and gas company

gmeigo9 6 / 20 2  

Career Plan Question essay

Hi. Am applying for a Chevening scholarship and this is the essay for Career Plan Question. I would appreciate any help in the structure, coherence and grammar corrections. Thanks

Chevening is looking for individuals who have a clear post-study career plan. Please outline your immediate plans upon returning home and your longer term career goals. You may wish to consider how these relate to what the UK government is doing in your country.

Mozambique is a rich country in natural resources and as time goes, new opportunities are arising in the natural resources field mainly related with untapped reserves of oil, gas, gold and coal. After finish my master course, my qualification, status and adventurous spirit will give me good opportunities to secure a geophysicist job in a governmental and/or oil and gas company working in Mozambique like ENH, ENI, GALP, SASOL Petroleum, Schlumberger, Anadarko, Weatherford and others. These companies offer diversified, challenging and structured trainings programmes to professional development throughout Geophysics and opportunities to work in different teams and places. After gain some experience in the work field I will progress to senior geophysicist, then to team leader and then a senior role in management.

After some years of hard work making contacts and developing skills, I will create and lead my consultancy firm and offer a diverse range of services including internships to share my acquired knowledge, skills and experiences to contribute in the exploration of Mozambique potential in natural resources.

When I think in longer term career goal, a Nobel Prize in Physics come in my mind. I intend to do a Geophysics research towards my PhD and when I finish it, I will keep researching to innovate something that will give an extraordinary benefit to the science and to people lives. This research will make me conquer the Nobel in Physics.
Walter, before you think about writing that acceptance speech for the Nobel Prize in Physics, you may first want to consider the latter part of the prompt requirement that is not represented in your essay. Where is the relation of the UK government projects in your country to your plans? You focused way too much on your personal intentions after graduation that you totally forgot about the UK connection. It is obvious that you did not double check the prompt requirements before you submitted this essay for review. Otherwise, you would have caught that all too important factor and as such, would have corrected it immediately. You cannot use this essay without connecting your plans with the UK government priority projects in your country. I strongly urge you to find that connection and revise the essay to make room for that discussion. If you don't do that and you manage to make it to the last round of interviews, you will most likely lose your shot at the scholarship because of that missing link.
OP gmeigo9 6 / 20 2  
Thanks for show my aquiles heel. I will find the UK projects in my country and connect it with my plans.
Mazenjamalsalah 2 / 5  
Linking the status and your country plans to UK gorvment is missing. Also the intro need to be more Readable.
devpro 4 / 9 1  
@gmeigo9 - The best area where you can connect UK projects to your plans would be in the paragraph where you share your plan to start your own consulting firm. Spend more time linking this to the UK projects in your country and how collaborating with DFID or its partners will help you grow your firm as well as meet project priorities for the UK in your country.

Thanks and good luck!
bilon 3 / 4  
@gmeigo9
Hello, you did bring out your career plans in a good way; short term plans and then long term plans. My worry here is that you seem passive in these plans, heavily depending on others. what will you do if you can't secure a job in the cited companies? I think you should find ways to add a possibility of you doing something of which you have some control over when you return from the UK. Are you currently employed in a related company? Is your employer willing to offer back your job when you return?...you could start from here. At least it is tangible.

GOODLUCK!!!@gmeigo9
OP gmeigo9 6 / 20 2  
Hi, due to essayforum policy, I can only re-open the thread of 2018/2019 and continue posting. This is my Career plan essay for 2019/2020. Pease help me to make it more competitive. Thanks in advance

CAREER PLAN ESSAY FOR 2019/2020

The increasing developments in instrumentation, technology and interpretation techniques allow geophysics to indirectly map physical parameters to solve complex geological tasks. During my master, I will evolve and be able to help my country in challenging sectors that concur with DFID priorities.

For 2018/19, DFID plans to spend 53% of its planned budget for Mozambique to Human Development Sector and support the transformation of rural water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) service delivery is the second priority of DFID in Mozambique. The WASH programme will contribute to reduce child deaths caused by WASH absence, under-nutrition and the sacrifice people do to get water. After returning home, I will continue at HMR or secure job in another consultant to contribute for the success of the WASH project in water component, conducting hydrogeological studies, monitoring boreholes, making more accurate surveys in order to reduce the probability of negative boreholes and modelling the spread of aquifers.

One of the examples of UK support for Mozambique's development, is the memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed on 15 February 2018 between Aberdeen City and City of Pemba to use Scottish expertise in the Oil and Gas sector to transform Mozambique focused on cooperation and trade development. As a chevener geophysicist, I will use the MoU to secure a job in the Oil and Gas sector, collaborate and implement programmes to exploit Mozambique's untapped resources as part of economic diversification. In a few years, my determination, skills and achievements will give me the chance to progress to a senior role in management and networking opportunities.

Many geophysical companies in Mozambique offer services related to natural resources. Thus, as a long-term plan, I intend to create a geophysical company not only focused on natural resources but also in environmental and hazards (floods, earthquake, and others) sectors. The DFID is supporting programs to undertake Humanitarian and Climate and Environment challenges (18% and 2% of 2018/19 DFID budget for Mozambique is directed to these sectors respectively).

To help Mozambique and DFID to tackle these challenges, for instance, the company will use geophysical techniques to identify hydrogeological characteristics that influence flood parameters. These results can be used with modelling techniques to identify causes and effects of flooding making possible their risk assessment and monitoring, helping the government to strengthen hazards policies and the capacity to respond to emergency situations. In environmental sector, the company will work with problems related with karst collapse, mine subsidence, detect buried waste, determine the source and level of pollutants and develop plans to reduce and evaluate the impact of contaminants.

The company will also make MoUs with universities to accept interns and create programs to develop fairs in schools to awake pupils love for science. After my PhD, we will make partnerships with universities and other institutions to develop a research division and contribute to science development. I am quite sure that Chevening will give me the necessary tools to start this journey to realize my plans and contribute to the Millennium Development Goals.
You will need to clarify how you plan to get your company accredited with the DFID so that you can collaborate on private projects within the indicated sectors. You automatically assume that the MoU will clear the path to that. That is not the case. Even your being a Chevening scholar will not matter if you do not follow protocol with regards to accreditation. Start small. Explain how your company will be accredited and then follow up with the more expansive plans that you have for your company in relation to the DFID projects.

The essay you have written is highly competitive and refers to several existing DFID projects in your country. With the proper clarification with regards to accreditation, I do not doubt that this will be one of the more notable post study essays submitted. It is strong in information regarding your plans, how you will get it done, and what the results should be. The simple clarification will finalize the content of your essay for submission.
OP gmeigo9 6 / 20 2  
Thanks for your recommendations. I did not included due to words limit but i will rearrange the essay to include this clarification. Thanks

Home / Scholarship / After finish my master course I plan to get a job in a governmental and/or oil and gas company