"Fly Like a Butterfly, Sting Like a Bee" Scholarship Essay about Muhammad Ali

nnggii3 1 / -  
Hey guys, I have a scholarship that's due on February 28th called the Regions Riding Forward Scholarship. I'm not very good at grammar,so if somebody might be able to help me out that would be lovely. :) Overall comments and constructive criticism would really do me some good too. Thanks guys.

Here's the prompt:

(1)High School Students. If you are a High School Student, your Essay should, in 500 words or less: (a) address how an African-American individual (living or deceased) has been an inspiration in your life, and (b) discuss the contributions of the African-American individual who has served to inspire and motivate you .

Muhammad Ali once said,"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."

When I was younger, I was one to get easily discouraged. Growing up in with four brothers and sisters, competition was evident amongst us. My parents had originally came from Nigeria to follow the rich opportunities of the United States,and they were very strict when it came to the importance of education. Every day I struggled to prove myself to my classmates and teachers to win approval,but kept on constantly falling short .

What first attracted me to Muhammad Ali was his work ethic. My older brother used to post lots of quotes all over his room that I would read in fascination. Considering that he was named one of the greatest boxers of all time, he, too, had his humble beginnings. After getting his bike stolen when he was twelve, he originally started to box to defend himself against his bullies. He vigorously worked out in and out of the gyms, while making his goals his top priority. Ali didn't try to pursue things jeopardize his shot of being the best boxer in the world.

His actions sparked a sense of determination in me especially when I was Captain of my Junior Varsity Soccer team during my junior year of high school. I would wake up at four thirty in the morning to work out for an hour before preparing for school, in addition to daily two hour practices after school,so I could maximize my soccer skills. I believed that Ali was not type of person to retreat at the first sign of adversity. No matter what, he kept on believing in himself,even when other people gave up on him at times. Muhammad Ali's constant actions led him to win a gold medal in the 1960 Olympics in Rome, Italy, was crowned the heavyweight boxing champion of the world three times in his life. Some of his titles included Sports Illustrated's "Sportsman of the Century",GQ magazine's "Athlete of the Century" and World Sports Award's "World Sportsman of the CenturyMuhammad Ali was a person of greatness that not only fought in boxing match, but against the government as an activist. While he boxed, he had converted to religion of Islam, changed his name from Cassius Clay to Muhammad Ali, refused to join the United States Army to fight the Vietnam War, and made other humanitarian actions.

I also tried to make a name for myself through Student Council. Since I was a Student Council officer, I led a clothing fundraiser at my school,and we were able to raise more than 314 jeans to donate them to homeless shelters in my community. Muhammad ignited a flame within me to fight harder, aim higher,and achieve more than I have ever thought possible.
temptprovidence 8 / 163 35  
that was a beautiful narration... i liked the expression of emotions and felt them familiar to my inner-self... i am not good at grammar but to the extent i could figure out, i couldn't get any mistake...

plus if you get your essay on "Microsoft word" you will get them underlined in green where there is a grammatical mistake... hope it can help you to perfection...

and BEST OF LUCK:) reminding you to try "word" if you haven't... and its float like a butterfly... not fly:)

Home / Scholarship / "Fly Like a Butterfly, Sting Like a Bee" Scholarship Essay about Muhammad Ali