I was fortunate enough to have direct leadership experience while working at a private law firm

fpl2017 2 / 3  
These are my responses to the 4 personal questions asked in the application for a Chevenning scholarship. Any feedback will be much appreciated. I've removed some of the personal details from the essay and replaced them with brackets.

1. Leadership and Influencing skills: Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

Chevenning Scholarship Essay for Master's in Law

Throughout my professional career, I have striven to take the initiative in improving my department/firm. During my time at the [governemnt body], I found several inconsistencies and gaps in the Telecommunications Act and while working as a Legal Specialist there, I took it upon myself, without being prompted to by my bosses, to address the issues. The Act's lack of comprehensiveness was causing multiple departments various problems in the implementation of their duties and the project required me to compile a list of the complaints from each department and then assess the possible amendments to the law which could help resolve them.

I, then, had to secure approvals for these amendments to the Telecommunications Act from the Board of Directions of the [government body] and the Ministry of Communication in order for them to be implemented. Not only was I successful but I was also able to suggest and effectively implement similar amendments in other parts of the organisation.

Another part of my responsibilities at the [government body] was to consider tender evaluations from external contractors and inconsistencies in the internal regulations regarding such evaluations were also causing issues for my team. I was able to secure more efficient protocols in this aspect of my job as well.

I was fortunate enough to have direct leadership experience while working at a private law firm - [name of first firm] - where I was responsible for the training of junior associates. Soon, my resume will also show me as being in charge of leading and establishing the legal department at [name of second firm]. In the future, I plan on applying to the national CEO programme in [country], which is designed to train young individuals who have ambitions of becoming future leaders in the country, with the eventual goal of establishing my own law firm at some point in the future.

I believe that an important part of any leader's responsibilities is to work not just toward the betterment of their own selves or their company but also society at large. I plan on doing my part in this regard by working on fostering [country's] innovation and removing some of the legal hurdles young [countrymen] may find on their path to success.

one essay at one time please
Miihammad, do not include information about future potential leadership roles because that has no supporting evidence yet. Only current and previous leadership experiences will work for this sort of essay. It is also important that you use the strongest example of your leadership and influencing skills. I see that potential in the first discussion you presented in the essay. Your leadership skills in the first part of the essay is tremendously strong. However, you failed to fully realize the potential of your influencing skills in your explanations. These influencing skills come into play when you discuss the way that you had to interact with other offices and government units in order to enact the changes that you needed to complete. You don't need the second presentation anymore because it is really weak. Remove the last 2 sections of your essay. Fully develop the first presentation instead. That will create the strongest possible leadership and influencing essay for you.
OP fpl2017 2 / 3  
However, you failed to fully realize the potential of your influencing skills in your explanations.

Thanks for your advice. I'll try and work on that part. May I ask why the rest of the post was removed? I've seen numerous other examples of Chevenning applications where the answers to all 4 questions were presented collectively. Should I present each answer in a separate thread? yes.

Home / Scholarship / I was fortunate enough to have direct leadership experience while working at a private law firm