Looking forward to a promising career in development sector - Chevening Career Plan Question

Shreya19 2 / 2  

immediate plans upon returning home and longer term career goals

Hello EssayForum community! I am a Chevening Scholarship aspirant for this year. I would really appreciate some valuable suggestions on the below answer. Thanks!

Chevening is looking for individuals who have a clear post-study career plan. Please outline your immediate plans upon returning home and your longer term career goals.

The strategic partnership between India and the UK is one of the strongest partnerships around. India is the fastest growing economy in the world, projected to be the third largest economy by 2030 and a major global power. The DFID India reports that, India is an important economic partner for the UK, India invests more in the UK than the rest of the European Union combined wherein the UK is the largest G20 investor in India.

My immediate plan upon returning to the country is to get connected with the Chevening Alumni India. One month within returning, I hope to resume my job as the Project Officer (Communications & Media) at the Digital Empowerment Foundation in New Delhi where I will be able to incorporate the skills and knowledge as well as the practical experience that I have learnt in relation to the development sector.

The social or the development sector in India is no longer a sector which is looked upon as a place for people to do their bit to help marginalized communities. The development sector in the country today is offering immense opportunities for young minds and professional to build a meaningful career. Unlike other sectors, development sector requires a huge amount of manpower coupled with latest technology or innovation and of course funding. The sector also requires a large brigade of young leaders to tackle developmental challenges and issues prevailing in our society.

Since I already have around 4 years of experience, after my Masters' degree, I would initiate to take up more important role like heading a few projects that the present organisation is working on like a project with WhatsApp over curbing fake news, or collaborating with Nokia over creating smart villages and the likes.

In three years' time, I would like to head the communications team at the Red Cross International or Paul Hamlyn Foundation or apply for a position with the United Nations Development Programme or UN Women depending upon the availability of the vacancies at that time. But what I would like to say is that, I would like to be a part of an organisation that brings change in especially rural India at a policy level and I would for sure like to take up the lead role.

I want to grow professionally as well as personally and by the next six to seven years' time, I wish to hone my skills even further by pursuing my PhD in development studies.
Shreya, you are missing the point. Your post study plan needs to show how your career plans will coincide with any DFID project in India. You must indicate a project of the DFID where your new skills can be utilized. It isn't about just finishing a masters course and moving on with your career. How do you plan to help the UK government in the fulfillment of its projects in India that are related to your profession? That is a key factor that is missing in your essay and must, I cannot stress this enough, must be represented in your post study plans.

Do not just mention that you plan to contact the Chevening alumna in India. You need to define a purpose for this contact. Why you think you need the support of Chevening even after you graduate? What plans do you have that the alumni organization can help you with? How will this project help promote Chevening and assist in the development of your country / field of expertise?

I consider this essay promising because it can represent 2 impressive factors. Your desire to work the DFID and a willingness to continue acknowledging your Chevening relationship after graduation. Both of which will be sure to impress the reviewer if you can only develop both this ideas on a far larger and more important scale than mentioned in this current essay. Properly explained, these could cover your long term / 5 year career plan as well. That is, if you can find a way to merge your profession with your partnership with these organizations within your work projects.

Home / Scholarship / Looking forward to a promising career in development sector - Chevening Career Plan Question