Free speech is the ultimate precondition for colleges to establish academic excellence. SCHOLARSHIP!

jjj90 4 / 14 4  
Prompt: Why is free speech important at our nation's colleges and universities? Using examples from both videos, discuss how censorship of student speech is incompatible with higher education.

Many of America's higher education institutions, universities and colleges explicitly, have stressed the importance of self-reliance and individualism. Through writing supplements, personal statements, interviews, and other significant components of the college application process, colleges have illustrated an increasing desire for both vibrant and unique students: individuals who deviate from societal norms. Demonstrating the belief that a student's personal way of life adds to the diversity of their institutions, many colleges have expressed admiration for the innovative and unconventional essence of prospective college students. So it's quite peculiar that these same institutions deem it necessary to encumber the freedom of speech in higher education environments. The hindrance of free speech by the nation's colleges and universities limits the students' freedom of expression and impedes their ability to gain independent thinking and leadership skills required for numerous endeavors.

Students' freedom of speech is virtually under attack at many of the nation's higher education institution. Many institutions have adapted policies which significantly restrict a student's ability to freely express independent beliefs. A Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (F.I.R.E) video titled, "Don't Cage My Speech," addressed a situation in which the members of a Young Americans for Liberty chapter at The University of Cincinnati were prohibited from recruiting new individuals by a campus bureaucrat. The founder of the chapter compared the situation to the story of David and Goliath, claiming that he stood no chance against the restrictive essence of the college's free speech policies. In fact, the students were limited to a free speech zone policy, and were told that they would be kicked off campus if they didn't completely obey the policy. A senior adviser described the free speech zone as a small triangle on campus with irregular foot traffic. Unquestionably, virtually everything about this policy is misguided and unconstitutional as it completely invalidates the 1st constitutional amendment. Although the policy may seem entirely absurd, it is actually extremely common among the nation's top colleges. Research conducted by F.I.R.E. illustrates that one in six of the nation 400 top colleges and universities possess "free speech zones." Numerous campus bureaucrats have defended the policy, demonstrating a belief that free speech is a privilege, not a fundamental human right. When the policy is challenged, many of these colleges yield or go to court. In 2012, for instance, a federal judge deemed the University of Cincinnati's free speech zone policy unconstitutional, stating that it violated the 1st amendment. The case resulted in the elimination of the free speech zones at numerous schools; however, policies limiting free speech still remain in force at many colleges and universities.

Nevertheless, programs and non-profit organizations are fighting to implement the highest degree of free speech in higher education institutions. In a video published by F.I.R.E titled, "Silencing U: Five Outrageous Cases of Campus Censorship," a college janitor, Keith John Samson, tells his story in which he was accused of racial harassment for reading a historical piece, "Notre Dame vs. The Klan." An event which occurred at the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, the video highlights how the campus judged Samson, a white male, for reading a book on the Klan. Samson sought the help of F.I.R.E stating, "F.I.R.E was my megaphone." The combined efforts of ALCU, FIRE, and Wall Street Journal resulted in the university backing down. Evidently, this case violates the student's fundamental right: the freedom of reading (literature). Many universities have felt it necessary to forbid certain books and literature on campus to decrease hateful or offensive commentary. Although officials believe that encumbering free speech ensures a safe learning environment, it negatively affects campus life as it eliminates different forms of individualism. Additionally, another situation of campus censorship occurred at the University of Delaware. The university adapted a program titled "The Orientation Interrogation," with a singular goal: modern day public shaming. A university alumni Jan Blits described the program as an extensive, mandatory brainwashing program aimed to stamp a mental footprint on the consciousness of the students. The program consisted of asking the students invasive questions that related to their sexuality and dating preferences. The program only allowed two answers, yes or no; the students also couldn't explain their answer. Although the program forbid the expression of racist, homophobic, and sexist demeaning speech, one of the university's student claimed it made the situation worse; the program violated the students' right to privacy. With the help of FIRE, the program was ultimately removed, promoting a more open-minded environment at the university.

Essentially, these cases illustrate a lack of respect for the fundamental right of students at higher education institutions; and quite truthfully, free speech is necessary at any institution of higher learning. Free speech on college campuses not only aid in transmitting existing knowledge, it helps students interpret, explore, and expand on that knowledge by challenging the old and proposing the new. Free speech sets the guidelines for learning outside the classroom as encourages vigorous, yet friendly debates on social, economic, and political issues that exist in modern society. Campuses should be free and open, and no viewpoint should be forbidden or discourage; this allows for a more diverse campus setting, and permits different perspectives reflective of a larger community. Hostility and intolerance of viewpoints which deviate from the majority, especially if encouraged by the college itself, weakens the confidence of new members to speak out and creates a close-minded environment. Students shouldn't be banned from demonstrating their opinions as it creates an atmosphere where all perspectives are accepted. Free speech promotes an inextricable sense of self-reliance needed for successful careers.

Conclusively, the censorship of free speech is extremely damaging to the learning experience at higher education institutions. Institutions should adapt policies which penalize conduct and behavior (for example, discrimination, harassment etc.), as opposed to policies which eliminate free expression. The university should make it their duty to demonstrate ineffable tolerance and shows students that civility and tolerance are distinct qualities of educated young individuals. Free speech is the ultimate precondition for colleges to establish academic excellence.

Please comment in grammar and content, most especially. Thank you!!!
acrogirl5 1 / 7 1  
the only problem that i have with this is that you're wasting a lot of words on explaining what and not why. f.i.r.e. sounds great to me, but i only found it interesting because i ALREADY agree with you. you need to spend more time convincing the reader of your position

Home / Scholarship / Free speech is the ultimate precondition for colleges to establish academic excellence. SCHOLARSHIP!