Essay for fulbright scholarship in computer science

djellel 1 / -  
Dear readers,
I am appliying for the fulbright scholarship in my country - postgrad in computer science, I realize that I have a big problem of spelling if you can help. Also your comments are appreciated.

Here is my essay (write a statement of purpose describing your research program).

---------------------------

When I think about the exponential technology advancement accomplished in the last century, I just can't stop wondering of how are going to be the upcoming decades. Like philosophy, the mother science, the field of computing is steadily becoming a vital tool of all current sciences like health, social and natural sciences. What I mean by 'Tool' is that medium of information that we commonly use to get knowledge. While current networked computers are widely used to simulate a knowledge exchange through local database or complex networked base like the Internet, the computing of tomorrow promise to be more intelligent and with less constraints.

The field of information management encompasses area that deals with advanced information retrieval, searches engines, advanced databases and high-level computer languages design. The goal is to deliver the right information using a natural language expressed by a human being in a seamless way, from large distributed information repositories like the internet. This area is merely fascinating for me because it will makes the computer - or any intelligent communicant device, an accessible medium for any non-computer literate person and will transcend the languages and cultures.

My four years of experience in information technology sharpened my curiosity and makes more aware about current industrial and field expectation in the area of information retrieval. Currently working as an information management engineer, I can see how our clients are struggling looking for their data through disparate databases, file systems and web servers. My mission is to implement solutions to federate data in the oil and gas industry. I acquired advanced knowledge in systems administration, database querying, and software/web development. I always strive to know more and propose out of the shelf solutions, like a system I have built that aggregate wells locations extracted from all the client got for instant localisation.

I am eager to undertake graduate studies to know more about the field and participate in research activities. Reading actual accomplishments about information retrieval techniques, made me more exited to learn about the technologies employed to develop a search engine like 'START' and the current related issues. To be on the track, I have completed successfully an engineer degree in computer science where I excelled in the practical side of the labs and I grasped the theoretical concepts in courses like compiler's building, theory of languages and artificial intelligence.

My greatest experience started when I joined the R&D department of EEPAD . The organization was that all the engineers have to unsure back office support job for the subscribers and in parallel where affected to a research area; mine was the authentication platforms. In my efforts to make the systems more accurate I proposed to extract information in real time from the physical terminals spread in the whole national territory through a specialized protocol at that time unexploited, then I collaborated with the material vendor R&D department to get the most of the systems functionalities. Having the right information in real time is now saving the company millions. What makes my experience there unforgettable is that all the teams (security, voice over IP, telecommunication, information system, call center) were composed of young passionate engineers working together, which made the environment more like a campus than a research lab. Personally I was introduced to the SNMP by the billing team leader, later I taught the advanced concepts of the protocol to the whole team.

I gained interdisciplinary knowledge in my different work assignments, and I got the opportunity to work on various interesting yet demanding projects. Familiarity with the English language is fundamental when you work in a multinational environment. That also helped me to develop problem-solving and communication skills.

What inspires me the most in computer science is that if you imagine something, you just need to be skilled enough and creative to build it. I view Linus Torvalds and Tim Berners-Lee to be heroes because they imagined and made revolutions. I consider myself to be courageous, and I need to stretch my skills to create technologies that will change people's life.

------------------------------

Thank you very much for your help it's really appreciated.

Regards
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Great job! A few subject/verb confusions, but other than that you've got a pretty good draft. Your content is excellent; you showcase your experience and qualifications well. Your structure and organization are sound also. Nice work.

Home / Scholarship / Essay for fulbright scholarship in computer science