Fulbright essay personal statement - the fight against cyber criminality.

schulschenko 1 / -  

to become a cyber security expert

I am applying for the Fulbright scholarship because I want to be trained and combat cyber criminals.

As a worker at cybercafé an I.T technician and a teacher of computer science, I have found that a large number of companies, governmental entities, startups, bloggers, business owners, organizations and people are vulnerably expose to hackers in the Republic of Congo.

The Republic of Congo has been among the fastest growing countries in terms of cybercrime activities. In line with cybercrime and cyber security in Africa. Last year on television the police arrested six (6) people who stole money from mobile money accounts through their phones.

In addition research conducted by the magazine cyber-crime & cyber security trends in Africa on page 65-66; there are several incidents on sim cards due to fraudster in the Republic of Congo.

Moreover in 2016, the spokesperson for the government's current communications minister said that his account had been hacked. At the moment cybercriminals see Congo as a safe refuge to operate illegal with impunity.

This is where the cyber criminals believe the low level of security is. Unsurprisingly many people have become important sources as well as victims of cyber-threats.

As reported by their Mister Louamba Moke, president of association for Human and Prisoners' Rights (ADHUC), there are few qualified computer literate citizens among the population.

I have to step in, do my best to mitigate the potential risks in which internet users are exposed by raising public awareness, creating a department for cyber security at local universities, training people on purpose of fighting with hackers.

I studied network and telecommunication at Ecole Africaine de Developpement (E.A.D) for three years and earned a bachelor degree.

I also majored in A+, N+, Cisco CCNA, Microsoft Server Administration 2012 and Oracle Database 11g (plus internship) in Bangalore-India. The latter training helped me realize that I could contribute to helping my country fight cyber criminality. .
This is not a very strong personal statement for one of the most important scholarships in the world. You have not given any real reasons that would convince the scholarship committee that you have the background, the passion, and appropriate training to become a successful member of the Fulbright scholarship. You have to make a new essay that better reflects the following:

- A highlight on your occupation as a teacher of computer science. Relate that to your interest in cybersecurity. Transition that stronger discussion into your job as an IT technician. Do not mention that it is at a cybercafe. It is not very impressive to mention that when you will be competing with IT experts from major computer companies and corporations on an international basis.

- Present the information about cybercrime in your country not as research material but rather, as a national problem that your government is trying to address. By indicating that you are trying to become a trained professional to help the government combat cybercrime, you will have a stronger personal interest in joining the program.

- Include information regarding possible knowledge exchange between you and other program participants. Explain how you plan to develop a network that should help all of you continue your education, information collaboration, and investigative practices upon your return home. Discuss what expertise you hope to present during the program which might be of interest to the other group members.

- Make sure to indicate that you plan to go back to your home country at the end of the course. Being a US based scholarship, you must present strong evidence that you do not plan to stay in the country longer than your student visa will allow.

Home / Scholarship / Fulbright essay personal statement - the fight against cyber criminality.