Home / Scholarship % width Posts: 7

Fulbright essay personal statement - the fight against cyber criminality.

schulschenko 1 / 3  

to become a cyber security expert

I am applying for the Fulbright scholarship because I want to be trained and combat cyber criminals.

As a worker at cybercafé an I.T technician and a teacher of computer science, I have found that a large number of companies, governmental entities, startups, bloggers, business owners, organizations and people are vulnerably expose to hackers in the Republic of Congo.

The Republic of Congo has been among the fastest growing countries in terms of cybercrime activities. In line with cybercrime and cyber security in Africa. Last year on television the police arrested six (6) people who stole money from mobile money accounts through their phones.

In addition research conducted by the magazine cyber-crime & cyber security trends in Africa on page 65-66; there are several incidents on sim cards due to fraudster in the Republic of Congo.

Moreover in 2016, the spokesperson for the government's current communications minister said that his account had been hacked. At the moment cybercriminals see Congo as a safe refuge to operate illegal with impunity.

This is where the cyber criminals believe the low level of security is. Unsurprisingly many people have become important sources as well as victims of cyber-threats.

As reported by their Mister Louamba Moke, president of association for Human and Prisoners' Rights (ADHUC), there are few qualified computer literate citizens among the population.

I have to step in, do my best to mitigate the potential risks in which internet users are exposed by raising public awareness, creating a department for cyber security at local universities, training people on purpose of fighting with hackers.

I studied network and telecommunication at Ecole Africaine de Developpement (E.A.D) for three years and earned a bachelor degree.

I also majored in A+, N+, Cisco CCNA, Microsoft Server Administration 2012 and Oracle Database 11g (plus internship) in Bangalore-India. The latter training helped me realize that I could contribute to helping my country fight cyber criminality. .

Holt [Contributor] - / 7,888 2167  
This is not a very strong personal statement for one of the most important scholarships in the world. You have not given any real reasons that would convince the scholarship committee that you have the background, the passion, and appropriate training to become a successful member of the Fulbright scholarship. You have to make a new essay that better reflects the following:

- A highlight on your occupation as a teacher of computer science. Relate that to your interest in cybersecurity. Transition that stronger discussion into your job as an IT technician. Do not mention that it is at a cybercafe. It is not very impressive to mention that when you will be competing with IT experts from major computer companies and corporations on an international basis.

- Present the information about cybercrime in your country not as research material but rather, as a national problem that your government is trying to address. By indicating that you are trying to become a trained professional to help the government combat cybercrime, you will have a stronger personal interest in joining the program.

- Include information regarding possible knowledge exchange between you and other program participants. Explain how you plan to develop a network that should help all of you continue your education, information collaboration, and investigative practices upon your return home. Discuss what expertise you hope to present during the program which might be of interest to the other group members.

- Make sure to indicate that you plan to go back to your home country at the end of the course. Being a US based scholarship, you must present strong evidence that you do not plan to stay in the country longer than your student visa will allow.
OP schulschenko 1 / 3  
The Republic of Congo has been counting among the fastest growing countries in terms of technology in Africa in such a relatively short period of time. As worker at cybercafé as an I.T technician and teacher of computer science, I have found that a large number of companies, governmental entities, none governmental and businesses are vulnerability exposed to hackers in the Republic of Congo. Hence, I would like to study network security so that I can help users and combat cyber criminals.

Research conducted by the magazine cyber-crime & cyber security trends in Africa on page 65-66 thehaguesecuritydelta.com/media/com_hsd/report/135/document/Cyber-security-trends-report-Africa-en.pdf; there are several incidents on sim cards due to fraudster in the Republic of Congo.

In addition, a magazine l'oeil de Brazza posted on Facebook people were attack on mobile phones m.facebook.com/166857120321106/photos/a.166909143649237/841448832861928/?type=3&eid=ARAGHCh-VGi86_m1Jeo0VZqAzSPNhq6JsqXxlz5v5u5-kHhK50bKA1UTWV9hZCDe2fsXtL0jIMxfJj7K

Moreover, the national police arrested criminals who mimics different voices on phone calls lesechos-congobrazza.com/economie/6506-congo-police-des-escrocs-usurpant-la-qualite-et-la-voix-de-ministres-interpeles
At the moment cybercriminals see the Republic of Congo as a safe refuge to operate illegal with impunity. This where the low level of security is. Sadly, many people have become important sources as well as victims of cyber threats.

As reported by Mister Louamba Moke, president of association for Human and Prisoners' Rights (A.D.H.U.C), there are few qualified computers literate citizens among the population.

I have to step in, do my best to mitigate the potential risks internet users are exposed by raising public awareness, creating a department for cyber security at local universities, training people on purpose of fighting with hackers.

I studied network and telecommunication at Ecole Africaine de Developpement (E.A.D) for three years and ended up with a bachelor degree.
I also majored in A+, N+, Cisco CCNA, Microsoft Server Administration 2012 and Oracle Database 11g (plus internship) in Bangalore India. The latter training helped me realize that I could contribute to helping my country fight cyber criminality.
Dubemikael 1 / 1  
This seems alot more like a list than an essay. Instead of listing reasons why you would be a good candidate, try to use more convincing lingo to persuade your reader and paint yourself as a qualified candidate
Ulaai 3 / 39 23  
Hello. In my opinion, you haven't resolve the previous issues pointed by Holt and Dubemikael. I'd advise you to start on a new draft and work from the beginning. Don't put cybercrime as your main theme of the essay, put yourself as the focus. Talk about you first: about your occupation as an IT technician and computer teacher, and your intention to pursue higher study.

Omit the second and third paragraph. Do not include links. Use only 1-2 sentences to describe the impact of cybercrime to your country.

Put your credentials early on your writing: "I studied network and telecommunications..." and "I also studied A+, N+, ...".

More on the substance: you haven't talk about how you've come to be interested in cybersecurity. Talk about how you encountered this issue and became insterested in it. What you have now is very general knowledge that can be easily searched on the internet.

The advices from Holt are very solid, I'd recommend you to look closely to them so you know what part of your writing needs more work.

Take a look around this website and read what other people who wanted to apply for Fulbright for their personal statement, and use that as references or comparison materials.

Good luck on your application. :)
OP schulschenko 1 / 3  
@Ulaai
Thank you so much!.

I studied network and telecommunication at Ecole Africaine de Developpement for three years 2011-2014 and ended up with a Bachelor degree. I also study abroad in India-Bangalore A+, N+, Cisco CCNA, Microsoft server Administration 2012 and Oracle database (plus internship). The increase in broadband access in Africa has had a significant impact on the internet in the Republic of Congo. Hence, I would like to study network security so that I can help users and government to fight criminals.

A magazine l'oeil de Brazza had published an article on Facebook that stores of mobile money and other telephone users had been hacked. The newspaper Semaine Africaine in Congo Brazzaville published the same thing

m.facebook.com/166857120321106/photos/a.166909143649237/841448832861928/?type=3&eid=ARAGHCh-VGi86_m1Jeo0VZqAzSPNhq6JsqXxlz5v5u5-kHhK50bKA1UTWV9hZCDe2fsXtL0jIMxfJj7K

For the moment, cybercriminals consider the Republic of Congo as a safe haven to operate illegally with impunity due to the low level of security. Unfortunately, many people have become important sources as well as victims of cyber threats.

I must intervene; do my best to mitigate the potential risks to which internet users are exposed by educating the public, proposing to create a cyber-security department at local universities and training people to combat hackers.

Undergraduate education has helped me to equip myself with the basics of network and telecommunication and helped me become a better person. The latter training lab sessions and teaching laboratory have introduced me to the field of network security.

The master in network security will help me to become good at cyber-security in order to confront cybercriminals.
OP schulschenko 1 / 3  

Home / Scholarship / Fulbright essay personal statement - the fight against cyber criminality.