Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

Future leader with networking skills. Chevening Scholarship Four Questions Essay

arahmancsd 2 / 2 1  
Dear Friends,

I have written below statements to chevening scholarship and would appreciate your comments, correction and feedback. There are four questions which so far I have been able to provide answer on two below;

1. Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 50 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

Leadership is not a trait acquired at birth and leaders are built through dedication, hard work and experience. Hence, my first leadership experience came from being group leader in inter-school competition during high school in Peshawar, Pakistan where our group ranked in the top 3 among 20 schools. After high school graduation, I couldn't stay back on the path of my education and obtaining higher education. Therefore, I started my bachelor's degree in computer science at Kabul University and completed it with obtaining 92%. During which I was learning my 2nd leadership lessons through leading group of 8 class fellows almost in all class assignments and projects.

My work experience with private, national and international organizations has taught me one big thing that leadership is not doing everything by your own, but rather influencing or motivating group of people and choosing the right group to do the job. With having more than 7 years of work experience, I have learned both how to lead and follow. Therefore, recently in National Solidarity Program (NSP), one of the flagship, successful and biggest community development driven program in history of Afghanistan executed by Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development (MRRD), I was promoted as a senior database development team leader to lead team of 7 senior database developers at national level and more than 90 database officers and assistants at provincial level. It was the biggest challenge and an inspiration to lead more than 90 people with different ideas and capacities. To overcome this challenge, I established nine groups and subordinated the authority to the team and deputy team leader. This helped me to share the work with groups and eventually each group felt responsible to deliver their task on time.

In addition, I visited more than 25 provinces in my country where I took part in helping the rural people building awareness and understanding their community priorities projects, such as schools, canals, roads, clinics, etc. Furthermore, I had the opportunity to represent NSP MIS department in numerous occasions inside and outside Afghanistan like MoF, MAIL, World Bank, Indonesian PNPM and India.

Sport is another way to deliver positive message and motivate young people to take part in other social activities. Hence, I established and have been leading MRRD football team since 2013 and have participated in several tournaments. We received best character team award in 2014 among 8 teams in Roshan telecommunication football tournament.

I believe I have had good achievements in my life so far. Though, it's not the end. I strive hard to move forward and complete many of the dreams I have yet to fulfill and to enrich my experiences and return with lots of ideas and strategies to improve Afghanistan and to help thousands of young people who look to people like me to give them a hand.

2. Chevening is looking for individuals with strong networking skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your networking skills, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future.

Networking is a multi-layer way of enhancing our society, building relationship and sharing information. Therefore, I have participated in several Kabul municipality programs. Firstly, in distributing and planting trees in spring season, secondly, in city cleaning projects, lastly in donating and helping poor families through program called NAJM. This has helped me to be actively involved and motivate my activist friends to contribute to the society. In addition, since 2013, I'm playing the secretary role in my home town community (Panjshir) which is formed of 1,200 families. I'm one of the four key members involved almost in all aspects of community activities from monthly meetings to solving conflicts and implementing projects such as energy and school.

Sports is another way to deliver positive message, develop social life, build stronger, healthier and safer communities and it encourages youth to take part in other social activities and to be involved. Hence, I have established and have been leading Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and development (MRRD) football team since 2013 and have participated in several tournaments. This helped me to motivate young people to get involved helping their community and develop strong social bonds with other communities.

However, I have not only devoted my time in volunteering activities, but also I have been with the MRRD for the last 7 years. Currently I am serving as senior database development team leader, previously I served as senior database developer and database developer in NSP and database specialist consultant with ministry of finance. I have worked hard and focused in building strong relationship within and outside my organization. Therefore, I had the opportunity to present MIS and NSP information systems in numerous occasions like in MoF, MAIL, World Bank, Indonesia PNPM and India and took part in discussions on we could improve rural areas by implementing technology. Moreover, I have visited more than 25 provinces in Afghanistan and helped rural people building awareness and understanding their community priorities projects, such as schools, canals, roads, clinics, etc.

As a students in chevening community, I believe Networking is key activity that is not only fun, but critical to my personal growth and career development. By surrounding myself with people who share similar drive and ambition, I would likely move forward, lead, learn and understand other communities. In addition, devoting time and maintaining presence in events is major factor in building strong relationship. Therefore, I would not only maintain my presence in events, but also, I would keep interaction using social media like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and etc.

I am committed and passionate to enrich my networking, experience and knowledge and transfer them to improve Afghanistan and to help thousands of young people, who look to people like me to give them a hand or spark. In addition, I would devote my time to participate in chevening events in my country and conduct workshops, seminars, meetings and trainings to my afghan fellows to give insight and knowledge gained from chevening community.

Please feel free to provide your suggestion

Thanks!

Home / Scholarship / Future leader with networking skills. Chevening Scholarship Four Questions Essay