If I cannot do giant jumps, I can make a small step forward every day. CHEVENING

kareem ragab 4 / 8 2  
When I was a student in high school, there were words written on the board "If you want to achieve things of value in your life you must first be a person of value from your point of view across your self-development" . Through these words, I learned that to be a true leader I must be able to lead myself first, self-leadership to achieve self-development.

At the university I was an active member of many student activities until I became a leader of a student troupe aims to develop the capabilities and skills of the students by organizing a variety of social, sports, cultural activities and trips, camps, and various arts programs. In the final year at the university, I joined the students' union.

I joined the conscription in the Egyptian armed forces after college . The work in the armed forces is based on teamwork and team spirit. The conscription has increased my confidence in myself, developed my communication and influence skills, and my ability to work under pressure.

I started working as a customer service agent in Egypt Post in 2011. In this job, I received 200 calls a day. And I have to deal with customers of different backgrounds cultured, educated, ignorant, polite and bad customers. Most of the calls the client is angry and sometimes cursing the company or the employee and I must absorb that anger and turn it to satisfaction and conviction. This job has increased my influence and leadership skills because I am dealing with a customer who is in another location and I communicate with him without seeing each other.

Currently, I am a customer service supervisor leading a team consists of 15 agents. We are working as a team to increase the level of customer satisfaction and achieve the highest response speed possible. I am always trying to achieve effective communication with my team, listen to their problems and help them to solve it, and I always tell them not to hesitate to ask for advice from me.

I believe that an effective leader must delegate his authorities and prepare a second row of the leaders who are trained and ready to assume leadership positions in the future. So I launched a new system which I called "the leader - agent exchange system". This system exchanging roles between the supervisor and one agent for three days a month. This system helps the agents and the supervisor to identify the tasks and problems of both jobs. A year later, the system has achieved amazing positive results so it has been applied in all customer service teams, and has been applied in various departments in the company.

I always say "If I cannot do giant jumps, I can step a small step forward every day". I am applying to CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP to become a leader who can make a better future for his country.
Adreanna - / 22 11  
Hi Kareem,

That system that you invented could be an indirect example of yourself as a leader with influencing ability, which are also the two values that Chevening is looking for from one candidate. So give it more space in your essay, write an inspiring story about it.

You may start with:

- Why and how did you come up with the system? What part of your work did you want to improve by applying the system?
- Did you meet any disagreement/ rejection when applying the system, how did you do to make people change their mind and support your idea?
- Any other difficulties you have met?
- How did you solve all the problems yourself?
- How the success of the system describe you as a change leader and an influencer?

Think of those questions and get the answer for them, then I believe you would have enough material to write an inspiring story about what you did as a leader/influencer.

HTHs
Srs1994 1 / 2  
As I read UR easy I dnt want read but just go to conclusion.. I felt its boring n very less intriguing! U gotta redo the easy.. Plz dnt take my feedback to b discouraging
Adreanna - / 22 11  
Hi kareem

Please check my comment belows:

- the quotation in the first sentence includes 2 parts. Those two are not logically linked together.
- please check your grammar
- "i'm, didn't" are informal, please avoid them
- for the first 2 examples in paragraph 2&3, your responsibility with the team is still unclear. Its like you just mention what your role is and stop there. What the reader expects to see is something with more details.

- you may want variences in your sentences because most of them start with "i" or "so".
- on the last paragraph, it seems that you were going backward with no invention at work to make process better. You just used what already work but take no forward step.

Just it for now Hareem, im using mobile phone so its hard to go back and forth copying sentences. Thats why i wont be able to go into more details.

HTHs

Home / Scholarship / If I cannot do giant jumps, I can make a small step forward every day. CHEVENING