Gilman Scholarship Follow- Up Project Essay. Just answered ques.; needs more depth and gram. check

tarynlynn2096 1 / -  
Prompt: Should you be selected to receive a Gilman Scholarship, you will be required to carry out a Follow-on Service Project upon your return to the U.S. which promotes the Gilman Program and international education on your home campus and/or in your community. All applicants will be required to write a proposal explaining how you will give back by inspiring others to pursue their own experiences abroad. Projects should maximize the impact of your experience abroad by extending the benefits you received to your campus and community. Projects should be clear, able to be completed in approximately one semester, and have obtainable goals. Examples of Follow-on Service Projects can be found here. You should carefully review your essay and ask an advisor to proofread your essay for spelling, grammar and content prior to submission. Summarize your Follow-on Service Project Proposal in paragraph format by addressing the following questions.

1. Briefly outline your proposed project to promote the Gilman Scholarship and international education. How will this project impact your home university or home community? What are your project goals?

My proposed project to promote the Gilman Scholarship and international education will be to create an illustrated journal. The journey would be filled with drawings of my experience overseas. I will present the journal to the International Program Center on UNCG campus as a way to promote studying in Hong Kong or another available region. Art is an easy way to catch people's attention, so the goal will be for students to be interested in the art of picture book and have them interested in studying abroad.

2. What is your target population and how will your project impact this group?

The target population will be the students at UNCG. Young people will focus more pictures or creative drawings than reading. The IPC schedule classroom presentations during class time to promote their program. They can use the book or even just the pages in one of their presentations to show the students. The images can help the student's focus not drift away while the presenter is speaking. The book can be an influence to any student on campus; however I will want this project to present to more of the freshmen class. Since they are younger, I feel that they will be more visually influenced with art and it will give them enough time to plan to study overseas in their future academic career.

3. How will you integrate the impact of your experiences abroad into your project?

The journal would be filled of my drawings of my experience in Hong Kong. It will have sequential representation of my first arrival there, settling in, meeting new people, exploring the city, classes and life on campus. Advice and safety tips can be included, as well. Having drawings of getting prepared to study abroad can help the students see the process of get prepared to leave abroad. The journal will focus on significant events to prevent the journal from being too long.

4. What, if any, campus departments, student organizations, and/or community organizations will you collaborate with in promoting the Gilman Scholarship and international education? Have you already made contact with these groups?
Hi Taryn, I think you weren't able to post the complete question and answer list in your thread. Either that or you want us to help you develop an answer to that question? I'm not really sure what happened there. Anyway, about the parts that were completed, I've got a few suggestions that I hope will be able to help you better present your ideas as a semester project.

Instead of calling your collection of drawing a journal, I think you should call it a comic book instead. The reason I suggest the change in terms is because a journal usually houses only personal thoughts, musings, and experiences that are not meant to be shared with others. However, in a comic book form, you get to accomplish your goal of sharing your adventures and travel tips with the community. Have you given any thought to creating a digital comic book on your university server? I think it will be more accessible and useful to the students and the International Program Center that way. It avoids printing costs and can continuously be added to over the semester for further improvement.

Can you add a written portion to your journal? One that will be accompanied by a single, strong illustration that embodies the unforgettable experience you wrote about? It can be like the cover page of your comic. It will help in integrating the impact of your experience with the project. You don't need too many significant events, just one that you carry with your till now from that adventure in Japan.

Oh, before I forget, you have to format the response in essay form separated by topic paragraphs. Don't forget. The prompt doesn't want you to present your answer in number format as you have it now. I look forward to seeing your improvements to your proposal :-)
Hi @taryn, I'd like to work on the needed work on your essay.

- I would create an illustrated journalMy proposed project to promote the Gilman Scholarship...
- and international education. will be to create an illustrated journal.
- The journey would be filled with drawingsillustrations of my...
- ...International Program Center onat UNCG...
- ...campus as a way to promote studying in Hong Kong or an other available region.
- Art is an easyeffective way to catch people's attention,
- so the goal will beis for students..

- Young people will focus more on pictures
- or creative drawingsillustration than reading.
- The IPC scheduled classroom presentations...
- ..focus and not to drift away...
- ...student onin the campus;, however
- I will want this project to be presented
- to more of the freshmen class.
- SinceAs they are younger,
- I feelbelieve that they will beare more..
- ...plan to studyin studying overseas inin preparation for their future academic career.

There you have it, quiet a lot of remarks and I hope they help. I must say that the struggle I faced with your essay is the form of verbs that you used, you tend to be futuristic that you forgot this essay is written to depict your goals for the future so the verbs to use should be in present form.

Home / Scholarship / Gilman Scholarship Follow- Up Project Essay. Just answered ques.; needs more depth and gram. check