Give access to clean water and basic sanitation - leadership and influential skill

bonica 2 / 3  
Leaders are those who not only lead or guide people but aspire and motivate them to be better professionally and personally as well.

In college, I became obsessed with the fact that almost half the global population didn't have access to clean water and basic sanitation which I see as a very serious problem yet solvable. According to water Aid, 14 millions Nepalese don't have access to sanitation. Every year 10,500 children die due to diarrhea in our country. Among communicable disease, 80% of the disease would be prevented by hand washing with soap and water.(Source: NLSS-2004, MoHP-2006, WHO, JHBSPH-2008, NEWAH HS Policy-2010). These facts further elicited my interest in water sanitation and hygiene.

I enrolled myself in public health and got an opportunity to visit various rural villages which further triggered my interest in this field. While discussing about health issues in rural community during my internship of college, few women came to us regarding their problems which were similar to the symptoms of uterus prolapse. We discussed the symptoms with health incharge of the village and came to conclusion recommending those women to health facilities. We conducted awareness session regarding uterus prolapse for the local female community female to adopt necessary preventive measure to avoid uterus prolapse. Later, health incharge of the village decided to conduct regular awareness session and screening for uterus prolapsed.

Every year 10,500 children die due to diarrhea in our country . While working as a WASH cluster officer , I aware people about diarrhea and hygiene practices lead open defecation free campaign (ODF) and declared ODF in 8 Village Development committees of 3 rural districts of Nepal through various triggering activities based on community led total sanitation strategy. Further post open defecation free strategy were developed and implemented in those VDC. We also lead clean house certification campaignin those areas to motivate and encourage people to adopt hygiene and sanitation practices to help the community people to prevent from waterborne communicable diseases.

As a program coordinator, I have lead multi sector program regarding health , nutrition and wash in various districts ; providing continuous coaching , technical backstopping to achieve the target , motivating them to work , and coordinating to local level , district and cluster based staff for the smooth implementation of the program. Further, I technically supported , provided a platform for marketing and networking, encouraged and influenced the female community health worker group to produce super flour to increase the accessibility of nutritious food at local level to form a society free of malnourishment. In future, I want to lead , aspire and motivate the youths of our country to recognize and solve various health problems of our society to form a healthy society .
Bonica, the events and information that you have depicted in this essay make it more of a statement of purpose or personal statement rather than a Leadership and Influencing essay. The narration in your essay tells me that you were part of a team and you performed as a participant in the events that unfolded instead of having you act in a leadership capacity. If you take the time to review the essay based upon the demands of the prompt, you will see that you did not deliver on any aspect of the expected response. There was no recognition of individualized leadership on your part and you did not really have a direct hand in influencing these people. It would be in your best interest to revise the content of the essay to reflect a real leadership and influencing role that you recently performed either on a professional or civic capacity. Also, try not to make this paper sound like it is part of a research paper by offering information with sources cited. That doesn't make any sense to present in a scholarship essay for a masters degree. Chevening has their equivalent of common app prompts in college essays. So deviating from the prompt demands just makes your essay useless in terms of helping with your application.

Home / Scholarship / Give access to clean water and basic sanitation - leadership and influential skill