If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish - you feed him for a lifetime

smunoz23 3 / 10 1  
The scholarship program was created to provide students from target communities with scholarship assistance to attend a NC college or university and hopefully encourage them to return home or to a similar rural community to pursue a career and give back to the community.

I come from a small rural background in Mexico and I currently live in another rural community in North Carolina. One goal that I have is to enrich the lives of the members in my community and county. One way I can accomplish this is by sharing knowledge with them. Knowledge is one of the most valuable assets a person can have because knowledge can never be taken away and it's always a benefit. I plan to come back to my community and share and contribute my knowledge by incorporating myself into the agricultural field of work. Agriculture in Duplin County and many other surrounding counties is very important. Most of the jobs and businesses around here deal with agriculture. Mechanical engineering is very important in agriculture because all the machines that are used to harvest crops are either going to need an improvement or repair at one point. I plan to train individuals in aspects of the work that they need without attending school. To add, training these individuals will help them become more qualified for more jobs. As more people are qualified to do more jobs the number of unemployed people will also go down. Agricultural businesses that are around will also have more knowledgeable employees. If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
You need a paragraph or so that interweaves your ideas for giving back to your community with the mission of the scholarship. At this point, the essay is quite informative regarding how you will return to your community and assist them in developing the unemployed or out of school youth. That is not all that the essay is asking you provide though. In order to complete this essay, you need to discuss the mission of the scholarship and how your plans fit into it. There needs to be a connection between the two in order to become highly effective in responding to the prompt. Like i said, that response should only take about a paragraph or two so just mind the maximum word count, if there is one, and your essay should be fine after that.
OP smunoz23 3 / 10 1  
Thank You!
So should I talk about how this scholarship will help me and why I need it?
Definitely. Your essay has to come full circle in order to properly plead your case with the scholarship committee. Reinforce the connection between the success of your academic career with the scholarship grant and the eventual benefits that your community will receive once you return to your mother country to help your community. Keep in mind that the scholarship wants to know how you will be able to help your community, so you need to highlight the facts relating to how the grant will help you achieve your academic and professional goals. It is important that you properly distribute the word count (if you have one) to accurately present all of the information that will help you become a good scholarship candidate.

Home / Scholarship / If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish - you feed him for a lifetime