Giving a good example to other members and posessing a capability to manage people; Leadership

shaquila 1 / -  
Leadership and Influencing skills: Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

implementing leadership skills at work

Become a leader is neither about giving a great speech in front of people nor make a stunning plan programme. For me, a good leader is about giving a good example to other member and have a capability to manage people. I implemented this qualification when I was a leader in UNY Archery Club in 2015. This club established by me and some of my friends who also joined in campus archery organization. I run this club for almost 1 year and made improvement in some sectors. For example, opened training class, hired new coaches, and joined regional competition. I had difficulties at the first time, but finally I could handle it because I always discussed with other administrators and prepared everything.

As a new sport club, My first project was introduce this archery club in the public. I made cooperation proposal to share in some schools in Yogyakarta so we would have some students. It was me and two of my friends who come to school one by one to promote this club and spoke to the headmaster. Our first attempt was not good enough, because some schools rejected our programme.

We evaluated this procedure then tried other way by made an advertisement in social media. We made simple advertisement using picture that UNY Archery Club opened trial for people who want to learn about archery. From this way, we had first class consist of 25 students from children to adult. Since then, this club always had new students and finally we hired some coaches to help us. After 1 year, some children joined regional competitions and got some medals. Then in second year, in 2017, the name of club changed from UNY Archery Club to Selabora Panahan FIK UNY (Archery sport laboratory school). It was our team work that make this was happen. The club is finally legal and become under responsibility of Sports Science Faculty in Yogyakarta State University.

Because of my past experience became a leader in campus, now I could implement the skills in my work as a teacher and coach. For me, teacher and coach are also a leader. I should give good behaviour example for children, have good communication and capability to manage people. In the future, I want to inspire my students with my experiences, teach them about leadership and support their dreams.
norytyas 2 / 2  
Hi @shaquila , these are my brief correction of your essay

more than half of your essay only explain of your non professional experience, try to give more information about your contribution current career as a teacher.. Not only your plan, but what you have already done to your workplace/students.

Good luck
Shaquila, this is not an impressive leadership and influencing example. You are being looked to by the scholarship as a potential leader and influencer in your country. That means, they want to see evidence of these two skills in a workplace or national level. Not as part of some academic extra curricular activity. While I can understand why you are extremely proud of this accomplishment and why you would wish to use it as a response to this prompt, the truth of the matter is, your accomplishment in this aspect cannot compete with the top level executives, country politicians, military experts, and other notable applicants for this scholarship. They always present true leadership and influencing skills that make a difference in the country, not in the student community. I am sure you can see why your essay will not be able to compete on that level and why there is a need for you to at least present these skills based on your professional skills instead. If you cannot present it in a manner that will allow it to be noticeable over the more experienced and already up and coming leaders of various countries, then you will not even make it past the first round of considerations.

Home / Scholarship / Giving a good example to other members and posessing a capability to manage people; Leadership