Globalization and Europe - International Master Global Markets, Local Creativities (ERASMUS)

ice 1 / -  
Following are the guidelines for the statement.

1. You should outline your motivation for choosing the GLOCAL programme (i.e. how it complements and develops your previous studies; how it relates to your career path; how it relates to your personal and academic interests).

2. Explain why you think you are a good candidate for the programme given your previous studies and the courses offered on the programme in both years.

Globalization and Europe

Globalization has opened up new and extensive opportunities for worldwide development. However, this is not progressing evenly as developing countries like the Philippines are slower than others in integrating into the global economy.

It is my deep interest to be part of the Erasmus Mundus International Master on Global Markets, Local Creativities (Global Markets and Development track) to advanced my knowledge, diversify my skills and stimulate my creativity to be able to contribute to the economic development of my home country and prepare for the future of increased globalization. Interestingly, it associates my passion, education and experiences on development, business and project management, international relations and local government. I find the program relevant and unique with its multi-disciplinary, practical and international approach, bridging the global and local forces to address contemporary issues pertaining to economic development, entrepreneurship and how they are affected by globalization.

I come from the Philippines, a developing country known globally for its young, educated, talented and English speaking Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW). Despite the wide range of creative services it exports, the country is a net importer of creative goods and experienced 47.6% trade deficit early this year. I am aware that the creative industry can improve wealth and competitiveness of nations as it contributes 3% of the world's GDP in 2015, employing 30 million people. Considering this, the Philippines has a huge untapped market of Filipino creatives and a reserve of cultural capital that could lead the nation towards economic growth and self-reliance through innovation, technology and entrepreneurship.

Studying International studies have deepened my understanding on globalization. Through my courses on International Economics and Global Economy, International Cooperation and Integration and Theories of Development, I have learned about the linked between globalization and development- how economic liberalization through free trade agreements promotes economic development. My undergraduate thesis entitled Politics and Economics of New Wars: Ethnic and Resource Conflicts explains new wars under the context of globalization which involves global and local actors using organized violence for economic goals. In my practicum, I was chosen as one of the delegates to the 59th MUNFW in Burlingame, California, USA wherein I drafted country profiles and policy statements on various global issues. My undergraduate provided me with theoretical knowledge and skills to make sense of the complex relationship between global and local which perfectly complements the GLOCAL program. More so, my Diplomatic, Best Thesis and Leadership Award given by my college is a demonstration of my academic and leadership excellence that prepared me well for further studies.

I also took Master of Public Administration which honed my intensive analytical and critical-thinking skills, and provided me with strong foundation on the both local and global scenarios. My education will aid me in analysing the roles of individuals, firms, cities, nations and supra-national bodies in determining the world in which we live and addressing economic impacts of globalization especially on developing and transitioning economies.

My background led me to series of experiences both in the private and public sector related mostly to economic development. I joined the Provincial Government of Cagayan in June 2010 where my work focuses on projects that drive inclusive local economic growth, such as capacity development in communities and organizing events that promotes the "One Town, One Product" (OTOP), a government program that enables localities to develop and promote products that are rooted in local culture, community resource, creativity, connection and competitive advantage. I assisted in organizing Aggao Nac Cagayan Trade Fair, designed to showcase all OTOP products and services in Cagayan.

My most fulfilling professional experience is capacitating poor communities in the Philippines to improve their livelihood, access to services and participation in governance process as Project Development Officer in Department of Social Welfare and Development. I taught them how to prepare problem tree, feasibility study, financial management plan and operations and management plan for community projects. The most notable project is the creation of zipline in Pilar, Bohol which have increased income of the residents and improve social cohesion.

I have also worked for Development Academy of the Philippines, wherein I managed is the Baseline Research for the GREAT Women Project 2 in 2016. The research findings suggest that entrepreneurship did not only give them financial benefits women involved in MSME's but also empowered them to make decisions at home, at work and in the community.

I recently joined a E-commerce and Digital Marketing Course by Department of Information and Communication Technology and was one of the outstanding graduates. I also participated in Inclusive Innovation Conference of the Department of Trade and Industry held on October 2-3, 2018 which included discussions on how to leapfrog to industrialization; accelerate innovation and entrepreneurship; and build regional inclusive innovation centers across the country. These exposure provided valuable inputs in managing our family business, The Furn Gallery, a furniture and interior design shop as well as with my consultancy stints with Lighthouse Cooperative. However, I acknowledge the need to deepen my knowledge to prepare local businesses for the future of increase connection, embrace change and make it globally competitive.

My dissertation would focus on borderless business for Philippine Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs). It will discuss global markets and mass consumption, free trade agreements, creative industries and business expansion in the global economy. It will explain strategies in bridging the gap between offshore markets and paving the way for our MSME products to reach global market, highlighting the experiences of MSME's in developed economies. The Philippines MSME accounts to 99.57% of enterprises, employing 5 million Filipinos. It is also worth noting that 60% of exporters are MSME and contributes 25% to the country's total exports revenue. If attention is given to the development of MSME's then it could address middle income trap, poverty and unemployment. My professional experience, educational background and strong research skills will provide guidance on my dissertation with the hope that I can utilize this research to help expand the number of small Filipino firms that are already reaping the benefits of reaching beyond the domestic market.

Upon completion of this program, it is my goal to utilize the knowledge and skills from GLOCAL programme to establish an NGO focus on enterprise development. It will provide workshops to help people attain their entrepreneurial goals, conduct innovation talks to inspire passionate people to do business, and assist creative minds and communities in establishing innovative enterprises to sustain local competitiveness and take part in the global value chain. I would also like our furniture business to expand to the global market using my Erasmus Mundus network and innovate designs to meet the global market demands and showcase Filipino ingenuity. These efforts will be a small but it will bring me closer to my vision of helping Philippines promote a culture of creativity and innovation, utilizing its Filipino talents and turning ideas into sustainable and globally competitive enterprises that showcase the best of the Philippines as well as create jobs and shares wealth in the community.

The opportunity to study in consortium of three developed economies which houses excellent education institutions is a privilege. I, as a Philippine Youth Ambassador of Goodwill will present a positive image of my country and contribute to the program with the best of my ability.

I see Europe not just as a perfect learning environment for its economic success, rich and diverse history and culture, and origin of new-age innovative start-ups, but also as a trade and development partner. Start-up collaboration and exchange of ideas can further strengthen this relationship and fill the gaps in both economies especially with the recent entry into force of the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement, a general framework to allow better collaboration between EU and Philippines.

Finally, It is with earnest passion for my country's development tied with high hopes of being able to contribute in strengthening the relations of Philippines-EU that I take the challenge of meeting the GLOCAL programme utmost standard of education. I genuinely hope the admission committee finds my profile well suited for this life-changing opportunity.
Aya, you need to connect your masters degree studies with specific program offerings or class relations as the prompt indicates. You have not created a clear connection between your previous studies and the current curriculum of the PhD course you have chosen. There needs to be a running parallelism between the two as proof that you are properly grounded in terms of theoretical and practical approaches to the new curriculum you will be studying.

You have to review your essay and rewrite it to reflect the sections that are not responding to the prompt requirement. While your first paragraph about the Philippines is interesting, your motivational statement does not come until the second and third paragraphs, which makes the essay unnecessarily long. Try to respond to the prompt questions directly on a per paragraph form. You must be sure that you do not create an over informative essay that reaches to the point of boring the reader because you may end up over qualifying yourself for the scholarship. Just stick to the basic information required. Your post study plans are not required in the essay so you can effectively remove those references in this essay as well.

Home / Scholarship / Globalization and Europe - International Master Global Markets, Local Creativities (ERASMUS)