Goals Influenced by Hispanic Hertiage

kmarie21 2 / 1  
The Hispanic community is the fastest growing community in the nation. Unfortunately the number of Hispanics that will actually attend college is relatively low. I take pride in being Hispanic; I have grown up in a secure environment providing me with a sense of unity and giving me an enormous amount of people who have always led me to believe that I am able to accomplish anything in life.

My dream has always been to attend a four-university so I can earn a degree in both psychology and sociology. Once I have my Bachelor's degree in both, I want to get my Master's and eventually a Ph.D. I want to be a children's therapist; to be an ear for them to spill that heart about whatever may be bothering them, to be a mentor for those that are mentor less and to be a director those children who have the potential to be amazing but may be going on the wrong path.

My Hispanic heritage has been a huge influencer on my dreams, as well as my mother. I have seen Hispanic girls who become pregnant during their high school years and never go any further in life because society tells them they can't. I have also seen Hispanic woman who let their husbands run the household because it is "culturally acceptable." I am leader; a Hispanic young woman who determined to make her dreams comes true and make a positive significant difference in the Hispanic community, no matter the lengths she has to go. My mother has imprinted this in my brain, that I am leader. She is one of the reasons I am so goal-driven. She has overcome many obstacles in life, she is such a strong woman and I strive to be like her.

While being a children's therapist is my long-term career goal, my goal at the moment is finish high school. Expand my knowledge as best as I can before I go to a university, I am in the process of completing this goal by taking AP classes. The teachers I have are amazing. They make sure we understand what is going on in class without babying us. While the course is demanding, I know that the weekends I choose to stay in and work on school work will pay. I know this because they already are; I am making A's in my classes because I choose to stay in, instead of going out with my friends.

I love being Hispanic, it is a satisfying feeling know that people believe the odds are against because of something you have no control over yet you prove them wrong. By eventually earn a Ph.D. I will not only bring pride to my mother and the rest of my family, I will also bring pride to what it means to be a Hispanic young woman.
astua1 2 / 4  
It's a great essay but it will be even better if you add more personality. That is: instead of saying girls...high school...into a tangible thing like I know many... Just add familiarity to the essay. It will be nice if I can picture those things that you are saying as it has a greater impact.

Otherwise, it's a great essay :)

Home / Scholarship / Goals Influenced by Hispanic Hertiage